What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hacking any iPad2 case

sethm1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a leather case in mind and was curious if any one has taken a magnetic strip glued to the inside of a case, so that it will turn on/off the ipad - just like Apple's Smart Cover.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have moved this to the accessories forum as I think you may have misunderstood the term "hacking" in relation to these forums.

The Archangel

Alex84

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a leather case in mind and was curious if any one has taken a magnetic strip glued to the inside of a case, so that it will turn on/off the ipad - just like Apple's Smart Cover.

I use the kingston 360 case. I noticed that the case did not turn of my ipad, big disapointment. I bought small eart magnets from a local hobby shop. The are around 0.5 cm in diameter. I put two magnets on the ipad to get the spoot when it turns the screen off. I placed a small pice of duck tape with the sticky side fasing to the case the closed it. Now two spots where the magnets should be. Using a scalpel or very sharp knife i cut an X on each spot. The took out the stuff beneth and placed the magnets. Put on some leather glue recommended by the hobby shop an it sealed nice. Now my case is ipad2 sleep friendly :)

OP
S

sethm1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good to know, thought it was possible.
So you only needed 2 magnets? And now the cover turns off & on?

I found a small magnet & was playing with my smart cover just now n and seems there are 4 magnets spread out from about 2 inches from the end.
Then also took the same magnet and ran it on the side of the Pad. I came across a magnetic area near the bottom half. Nothing happened. Along the top half is where I noticed the magnet would turn on & off the screen.

Now curious what the magnet on the bottom half of Ipad is for.

Last edited:

Alex84

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good to know, thought it was possible.
So you only needed 2 magnets? And now the cover turns off & on?

I found a small magnet & was playing with my smart cover just now n and seems there are 4 magnets spread out from about 2 inches from the end.
Then also took the same magnet and ran it on the side of the Pad. I came across a magnetic area near the bottom half. Nothing happened. Along the top half is where I noticed the magnet would turn on & off the screen.

Now curious what the magnet on the bottom half of Ipad is for.

Actualy only 1 is needed. You can use the one on the top right corner. Having more will allow the cover to stay in place better do. Also quality of magnets can differ alot. Dont use regular fridge magnets there magnetic field is not as strong as powerful hobby / earth magnets. I tested cheaper fridge magnets first but when the magnet is down in the cover and some glue on that its magnetic power can prove to be to low to turn off the ipad making it useless.

Best regards

Most reactions

Latest posts