What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Guess this is the secret of apple :)

Kieron

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all, I found an interesting "secret" of apple's each updates recently. I tried my friends iPhone 3g last time with 3.1.3 firmware, ummm..soo slow comparing to my iPhone 4 with 4.3 firmware. Then I guess for each update apple did, it tends to slow down your idevice~~~~~ that's y ppl always find their iPhone or iPads are getting slower and slower after 2 or 3 years. And it's a very smart technique for mr.jobs to keep us buying and updating our devices.
--------------------------------------- ----------------------
So my advice is (personally) If u have an iPad 2, stay on 4.X, don't update to 5.x or even further. Same as people have iPhone 4, dont touch 5.x~~~~

P.S. This does NOT apply to people with big big money and super apple fans~~XD have a nice day..~

Sent from Kieron's 水果机 using iPF

doubledown7d

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the truth to this is that as your current processor ages the newer OSs require more and more processing power to keep up with new features. Same as with every other OS and processor combo. Takes more muscle to push bigger features.

OP
K

Kieron

iPF Noob
Reaction score
doubledown said:
I think the truth to this is that as your current processor ages the newer OSs require more and more processing power to keep up with new features. Same as with every other OS and processor combo. Takes more muscle to push bigger features.

A ha...that might be the reason...thanks for sharing

Sent from Kieron's 水果机 using iPF

jacksonian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Most users demand new features that require more powerful hardware. If you don't want the new features, then yes, don't do the update unless you want to spend the money for new hardware. Apple's not forcing you to update to the new software to make you buy something new.

And this is the same thing we've been doing with Windows and every other computer product since they were created. So it's not an Apple secret.

Rudinater

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I never load "New" updates. It is not uncommon at all for a new update to screw something up. Every at best it adds some "feature" that I at best will never use or just plain do not want on my computer.

Always read what the update does, if you are not having problems don't install it.

GenerationX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well people buy the latest apple product regardless, if this is their actual plan or not

Ser182

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A phone/pc will not be as fast as aphone sold now. I don't believe this is true.

Videographer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Most users demand new features that require more powerful hardware. If you don't want the new features, then yes, don't do the update unless you want to spend the money for new hardware. Apple's not forcing you to update to the new software to make you buy something new.

And this is the same thing we've been doing with Windows and every other computer product since they were created. So it's not an Apple secret.

I don't need more features on my iPad2, especially if it's going to be at the expence of speed. I like mine just the way it is. Now to stop downloads. When I select my iPad after it connects with iTunes, there is a section that allows you to check for updates, and to the right of that it mentions (on mine) that my software is up-to-date. My concern, since I haven't dealt with this as yet, does the iPad automatically update or do I infact have manual control over it? If so how do I do that please. Thanks.

JJK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I believe in Itunes you have 3 options:
1) Download and install
2) Download
3) Don't ask again for this version

If you do not want to update, just choose 3

Sent from my iPad using iPF

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
1) Download and install
2) Download

One little gotcha, I think it only offers number 3 the SECOND time it asks the question for a new firmware... cheeky Apple!
So first time it asks, make sure you just "cancel" the dialogue box, then next time you can say, don't ask me again!

JJK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1) Download and install
2) Download

One little gotcha, I think it only offers number 3 the SECOND time it asks the question for a new firmware... cheeky Apple!
So first time it asks, make sure you just "cancel" the dialogue box, then next time you can say, don't ask me again!

Very well possible. And yes, in that case "cancel" will be the way to go.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Does not matter if it is an iPhone iPod iPad, Droid, win phone, rim product , Mac OS computer Windows computer or what ever use by date hits within 3 years or less as that is life. It has nothing to do with steve jobs it is about what users demand world wide and technology updates that come fast and furious it is that simple. pC changes at this point in time is 3 months yes 12 weeks for model updates Cheers

Techpaste

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.techpaste.info

I totally agree. I trying to elaborate on what you've said but I think you hit the nail on the head :)

mrquod

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I never load "New" updates. It is not uncommon at all for a new update to screw something up. Every at best it adds some "feature" that I at best will never use or just plain do not want on my computer.

Always read what the update does, if you are not having problems don't install it.

It's, what?!

You appreciate that every version of any software that you get will always either be an 'update' (from some baseline) or else a piece of software that hasn't yet been stress tested in the market?

Your post kinda implies that there's some hallowed 'better' earlier version of software, when - in practice - you're most likely picking an arbitrary point on a timeline and then choosing to stick with the devil you know.

Most reactions