What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grove ipad 2 cases

luckyleo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I received my Grove case today and really am liking it a lot. I can't believe how thin and lite it is. It's almost like there's no case on it at all. I ordered on 5/23 and got it today. It was worth the wait. I strongly recommend it!

Leo

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For those of you who have the Grove case or smart cover, how does the leather cover stand up to being repeatedly folded when it's used as a stand?

The company has just introduced a smart cover design that I absolutely love, but the only issue that's delaying my decision to buy it is the durability of the cover.

I've also found a stand for resting my iPad in my lap when I use it at home in order to avoid the issue of folding the cover, but the case is already expensive and I don't want to spend any more money than I have to.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Looks cool but I cant quite get passed that its wood. Pricey too. My iPad2 is a high-tech device, not a hunk of furniture.:D

Im sure they will be nice - its just not my thing.

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I see that this thread is rather inactive, but I'd really appreciate feedback from those who have bought the case.

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, I contacted the company and as I suspected: Over time, creases will develop along the folding lines.

I do appreciate the company's timely reply and the concise and informative explanation for the problem: Because the source material for the cover is natural (the hide of cows), it will be subject to greater wear than a product made of synthetic leather.

I still love the case I have in mind, but considering the price I'd literally have to pay for an object of beauty that would need more care and handling, I'm going to take even more time to think about it and continue looking at other cases.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Asharp said:
I still love the case I have in mind, but considering the price I'd literally have to pay for an object of beauty that would need more care and handling, I'm going to take even more time to think about it and continue looking at other cases.

The best quality leathers (top- and full-grain) are quite tough and practically impervious to everyday wear and tear, and any minor nicks and scars simply become part of the natural texture as the hide "repairs" itself over time and should not be regarded as defects. In many instances, stubborn nicks can also be polished away with leather lotion. I have an iPad cover from Oberon Design whose surface, after over a year of constant use, has seasoned into a lovely patina characteristic of the best leathers.

However, low-to-mid grade leathers (including semi- and faux leathers) as well as polished and painted/top-coated leathers generally are more susceptible to damage, and generally will not "heal" themselves. Consequently, they require more careful handling than a full-grain leather
These leathers can feel softer, but that's because they've been treated inside the tanning drum for longer, weakening the internal leather fibres; consequently, these need more gentle handling because even a simplest accidental scratch is irreversible.

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
tzimisce said:
The best quality leathers (top- and full-grain) are quite tough and practically impervious to everyday wear and tear, and any minor nicks and scars simply become part of the natural texture as the hide "repairs" itself over time and should not be regarded as defects. In many instances, stubborn nicks can also be polished away with leather lotion. I have an iPad cover from Oberon Design whose surface, after over a year of constant use, has seasoned into a lovely patina characteristic of the best leathers.

However, low-to-mid grade leathers (including semi- and faux leathers) as well as polished and painted/top-coated leathers generally are more susceptible to damage, and generally will not "heal" themselves. Consequently, they require more careful handling than a full-grain leather
These leathers can feel softer, but that's because they've been treated inside the tanning drum for longer, weakening the internal leather fibres; consequently, these need more gentle handling because even a simplest accidental scratch is irreversible.

I was responding to a statement from the Grove team that "because it is a natural material it will show signs of usage and daily wear and tear unlike synthetic leather."

Both the Grove and Oberon iPad cases have distinctive cover designs and it doesn't seem to make sense to fold such beautiful covers into segments. I have noticed that the covers of the Oberon case can be folded at the spine of the case but the cover doesn't seem designed to make it possible to fold it into segments like the Apple SmartCovers, a design consideration that seems far more practical for preserving the beauty of the front cover.

Since my post below, I've bought and been using an inexpensive compass stand as a substitute for creasing my current cover to see how comfortable this workaround would be. To my surprise, I've found that I prefer the compass stand because it's more comfortable for reading as the angle dramatically reduces screen glare and the angle is more comfortable for light typing.

Because the Grove covers fold back flatly at the spine of the case, it seems that one would work just fine when I place it in my Origami Workstation for heavier typing. I just needed a workaround to replace my habit of taking advantage of folding the front cover into segments in specific situations.

Once I discovered that I prefer the compass stand, I went ahead and ordered the Grove case I've had my eye on and I'm just waiting for its arrival.

Your post is encouraging because folding the front cover is an unconscious habit that I still unthinkingly take advantage of and the Grove front cover is designed to be folded into creases, so it shouldn't be a big deal if I do so every once in a while.

I can hardly wait to see for myself! :)

Thank you for a very informative post!

Most reactions

Latest posts