What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gps

simonfoy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry for what may appear a silly question but I wanted a rock solid answer before I buy one.

My TomTom is on the blink and I need to replace it. I was also looking at the Ipad2 Wifi only and wonder if I can put TomTom software on it? Does it have GPS onboard?

Would this work?

Thanks Simon

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Only 3G versions of the iPad have GPS. WiFi versions lack GPS functionality. That's because the GPS 'electronics' is similar to that required for 3G and some of the functionality is shared on the 3G version of the iPad.

A WiFi iPad 'tries' to determine its location by accessing a database of WiFi hotspot locations when it's 'contact' with a WiFi basestation. So, in urban areas, it can get an approximate location. In rural areas, where there are no WiFi hotspots, the WiFi-only iPad cannot determine its location.

There are one or two GPS add-on units for the iPad but their cost is about the difference in price between the 3G and WiFi iPads.

If you purchase the 3G iPad you do not have to activate the 3G or even have a 3G contract to be able to use the GPS and there is a version of the TomTom software for the iPad.

Tim

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Like Tim Says, you need a 3G ipad. They have the built in GPS receiver.. The wifi only ones don't.

There is a clumsy way of tethering a bluetooth GPS receiver to an iPad, but if you don't have the hardware yet, you're best off getting a 3G iPad rather than buying a wifi only iPad plus the bluetooth GPS receiver.

I just took a peek and see they have a Tom Tom app for the iPhone, but not the iPad. (At least not here in Canada).. iPhone apps will work on the iPad, but you'll be limited to portrait mode and not landscape. Also, the resolution of the iPhone app won't be as good as a native iPad app.

It's kind of pricy too.. Converting Canadian dollars to GBP, the Tom Tom should cost around £35.

There are other apps that cost a lot less, but they need 3G because they download the maps in real time from the internet as you drive. I'm not familiar with any UK GPS apps for the iPad, but I'm sure someone will jump in with their experience and recommendations.

bill_d

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Like Tim Says, you need a 3G ipad. They have the built in GPS receiver.. The wifi only ones don't.

There is a clumsy way of tethering a bluetooth GPS receiver to an iPad, but if you don't have the hardware yet, you're best off getting a 3G iPad rather than buying a wifi only iPad plus the bluetooth GPS receiver.

I just took a peek and see they have a Tom Tom app for the iPhone, but not the iPad. (At least not here in Canada).. iPhone apps will work on the iPad, but you'll be limited to portrait mode and not landscape. Also, the resolution of the iPhone app won't be as good as a native iPad app.

It's kind of pricy too.. Converting Canadian dollars to GBP, the Tom Tom should cost around £35.

There are other apps that cost a lot less, but they need 3G because they download the maps in real time from the internet as you drive. I'm not familiar with any UK GPS apps for the iPad, but I'm sure someone will jump in with their experience and recommendations.
the bluetooth GPS receiver xgps150 works well with a wifi only ipad2 with the tomtom app and roadmate app or navfree app
and it's just a 2" square box on the dash of car the ipad can be anywere in 35 feet
but the receiver does cost a 100 bucks

hollyro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gps- 3g

Stupid question- but do you need to pay to activate your 3G in order for the GPS to work? We have the 3G but are not paying to activate it - will gps work?

Reaction score
No need to activate 3g to use GPS . I've never activated the 3g on mine and use star navigation apps, shopping apps that want my location and Google maps quite a bit. You do need some sort of data, wifi or 3g, to be able to load info though so don't expect the Ipad to give you any help in the boon docks if you don't have 3g activated and decide you need to find your way.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

OP
S

simonfoy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey Brilliant replies guys I appreciate them.

Most reactions