What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GPS Receiver for wifi iPad

Gzoladz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have noticed there are some third party gps receivers out there that can be used with a wifi iPad.

Has anybody tried any and coul reccomend any of these?

Thanks,
G

Rudinater

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes at this time there are three units out there, all three of them cost about 100.00 each and they can be found on Amazon.com. All three units work and work well. I'm a pilot and have used each of them and know people that use them as well.

Note all of them are WAAS enabled GPS receivers.

1. Bad Elf - This unit is different from the others as it plugs into the Ipad in the interfact/charge port. This means you don't have to charge it as it gets it power from the ipads battery. However as it attaches to the Ipad this may be a problem with most ipad mounts out there. Also it is easy to bump the unit and disconnect it. There has been a worry about bumping it and damaging the port but I have not heard of that ever happening.

2. GNS5870 - This is a small little blackbox GPS receiver. It has it's own battery that you have to remember to change and it interfaces with the Ipad by bluetooth. The only down side to this little guy is the one and off switch can be a pain in the butt untill you get use to it. Only work works with Apple products.

3. XGPS150 - Like the GNS 5870 this is a small battery power unit that needs to be rechanged. This one not only works with you apple products, but it would work with android or other PC's unlike the other two. You also get a couple of nice mounting options with this unit as well.

The XGPS150 is the unit that I tell people to get.

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, this peaked my curiosity - I have just a Wi-Fi iPad (also own a Garmin GPS device, so did not feel the need to go w/ a GPS in iPad) - so the issue is that I'm assuming you have just the Wi-Fi option and need a GPS?

So, just reviewing some previous threads - THIS ONE popped up - might be of help?

But it seems that if one really needs GPS on a device, then getting the iPad w/ that option might have been the best choice - will be interested in others' responses - :)

jduncan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
giradman said:
Well, this peaked my curiosity - I have just a Wi-Fi iPad (also own a Garmin GPS device, so did not feel the need to go w/ a GPS in iPad) - so the issue is that I'm assuming you have just the Wi-Fi option and need a GPS?

So, just reviewing some previous threads - THIS ONE popped up - might be of help?

But it seems that if one really needs GPS on a device, then getting the iPad w/ that option might have been the best choice - will be interested in others' responses - :)

Hindsight is 20/20. Yes it would have been better to buy it that way to begin with, but...

OP
Gzoladz

Gzoladz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for the review of the options.

Yes, the gps ipad may have been an option. I do not really need one on the ipad, but I wanted to know the options put there as it is more a nice to have.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hindsight is 20/20. Yes it would have been better to buy it that way to begin with, but...

How true - :( I believe we all can relate to that hindsight (I could use a couple of boots in the A$$ for not going for that extra option!).

Wife & I do a lot of local traveling - now retired (as of the end of June) - as oldsters we like to watch movies in our hotel room but the cost has escalated and most of the new films STINK (as least for us) - so now I'm thinking of ripping a number of our favorite DVDs that we enjoy together and loading them onto the iPad - just add some type of TV connection kit, and we'll be ready to go.

Well, my iPad is a 32GB - can live w/ that but a a 64GB would now seem like a better choice if I want to keep 6-8 films on the device - oh well, live and learn - :D

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes at this time there are three units out there, all three of them cost about 100.00 each and they can be found on Amazon.com. All three units work and work well. I'm a pilot and have used each of them and know people that use them as well...

It's posts like this that make forums like this worthwhile.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes at this time there are three units out there, all three of them cost about 100.00 each and they can be found on Amazon.com. All three units work and work well. I'm a pilot and have used each of them and know people that use them as well.

Note all of them are WAAS enabled GPS receivers.

1. Bad Elf - This unit is different from the others as it plugs into the Ipad in the interfact/charge port. This means you don't have to charge it as it gets it power from the ipads battery. However as it attaches to the Ipad this may be a problem with most ipad mounts out there. Also it is easy to bump the unit and disconnect it. There has been a worry about bumping it and damaging the port but I have not heard of that ever happening.

2. GNS5870 - This is a small little blackbox GPS receiver. It has it's own battery that you have to remember to change and it interfaces with the Ipad by bluetooth. The only down side to this little guy is the one and off switch can be a pain in the butt untill you get use to it. Only work works with Apple products.

3. XGPS150 - Like the GNS 5870 this is a small battery power unit that needs to be rechanged. This one not only works with you apple products, but it would work with android or other PC's unlike the other two. You also get a couple of nice mounting options with this unit as well.

The XGPS150 is the unit that I tell people to get.

Excellent post! Great thread!

OP
Gzoladz

Gzoladz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sticky for gps devices?

Rudinater

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Wife & I do a lot of local traveling - now retired (as of the end of June) - as oldsters we like to watch movies in our hotel room but the cost has escalated and most of the new films STINK (as least for us) - so now I'm thinking of ripping a number of our favorite DVDs that we enjoy together and loading them onto the iPad - just add some type of TV connection kit, and we'll be ready to go.

I live in hotels my self, (over 200 days so far this year) Most hotels now have LCD TV's in them. All LCD tv's have HDMI interfaces. I picked up a HDMI plug for the Ipad (Apple, Best Buy or Fry) and a HDMI cable. Now I can watch movies I ripped or Netflix on the TV in the Hotel room:D

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I purchased and received the Dual XGPS150 along with Navigon North America (still on sale I believe), and the RAM Auto Mount (the one that fits into the cup holder) a few days ago. The Dual and Navigon evidently work with my iTouch as well.

I still haven't opened the boxes but will post my impressions as soon as I get a chance to properly evaluate everything.

OP
Gzoladz

Gzoladz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Airblue gps has now been made available on Cydia. It is a tweak that let you connect your ipad to the gps of your phone. It has a demo version for free, it works great on my Nokia E72.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I live in hotels my self, (over 200 days so far this year) Most hotels now have LCD TV's in them. All LCD tv's have HDMI interfaces. I picked up a HDMI plug for the Ipad (Apple, Best Buy or Fry) and a HDMI cable. Now I can watch movies I ripped or Netflix on the TV in the Hotel room:D

Aren't you the smart one! Not sure why I hadn't thought of that. Great idea.

Most reactions

Latest posts