What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GPS APP for WiFi only IPAD2

Pfrederi1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello All,
I'm new to this forum so please bear with me. I currently own the ipad2 wifi only. I use my 3G phone as a constant mobile connection for my iPad even when I'm driving. Works well. My question is are there any good GPS apps out there for my IPAD? When I try to download it says that it's not supported on this iPad.

Thanks

Rudinater

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your wifi iPad does not have a GPS receiver, so your GPS apps don't know where you are.

jduncan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There some great aftermarket GPS attachments available for it. Just google iPad AND GPS.

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
Yes and no to the two posts above me. No, your Wifi only iPad does not have a GPS chip, only the 3G versions. Not a big deal. Yes, there are apps that support using wifi to assist with GPS position, but know you can be way off in the positioning. I highly recommend the following: MotionX GPS HD and MotionX GPS Drive HD.

choPppps

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But will the app really work since it's being launched from a device that doesn't have direct access. Using wifi or bluetooth, that is the access point?

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But will the app really work since it's being launched from a device that doesn't have direct access. Using wifi or bluetooth, that is the access point?

Some devices use a wired connection via the 30 pin connector. Others use bluetooth. Search "GPS iPad" on Amazon and you'll see the options.

jduncan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Somerled said:
It will be cheaper to buy MotionX and try than to spend upwards of $130 in a gps puck and cable.

Yeah, unless you want it to show were you really are. It is only an app, you still need a true gps chip, or puck to get the most accurate positioning.

Most reactions

Latest posts