What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GPS active without 3G or Wifi Active?

slothead

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
tjmanson1.wordpress.com
Actually 2 questions:
(1) Since I don't want to pay international data rates, if touring in the UK (with an iPad at home in the USA) will the GPS work if I have the cellular data and the Wifi turned off?
(2) And assuming that the answer is yes, will the map software include the UK?

Thanks all,

K1W1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you are talking about the standard maps you will need 3G on to get location and map data. The way the iPad / iPod app works is that it downloads the screens as you move.

If you have an app like TomTom where the entire map database is loaded on the iPad/iPhone then it will work without 3G or wifi turned on. You will of course need to purchase the TomTom Europe maps.

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you install apps like Navigon that have the maps downloaded to your iDevice, then you won't need 3G or wifi, unless you want to use some of the extras that are available, like searches for cafes or sites to visit. You can usually get that info locally in a tourist guide anyway. Navigon does have European maps, and I'm sure others do also.

Yarrenbool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
... ... ...

If you have an app like TomTom where the entire map database is loaded on the iPad/iPhone then it will work without 3G or wifi turned on.

... ... ...

Checking the AppsStore it looked to me that TomTom was only available for the iPhone and NOT the iPad. Am I wrong? I really liked TomTom on my HP iPAQ 210 and would buy it in an instant if it there is an iPad version but not if it's just the iPhone version that is "2x" expanded to fill the iPad screen.

Anyone using TomTom on an iPad and can give details of it?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Looks like TomTom does not have an iPad optimized app.

CoPilot does. The Live Premium version is newer, and cheaper than the HD version. I'm not sure what the other differences are. I have the iPhone version, and it did ok on the one trip I've tested it with.

The NavFree apps are universal, and should work in native mode on both iPhone and iPads.

Mike_73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Twerp, you didn't mention whether the NavFree needs wifi or 3G to operate. But I can go find that out myself I guess. Thanks guys.

Navfree needs an internet connection when looking up an address. Once your route has been calculated, internet isn't needed anymore.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Twerp, you didn't mention whether the NavFree needs wifi or 3G to operate. But I can go find that out myself I guess. Thanks guys.

Navfree needs an internet connection when looking up an address. Once your route has been calculated, internet isn't needed anymore.

I did not know that. Operating on third hand information for NavFree. Several people were recommending it as one of the few free offline mapping programs.

UPDATE: Just checked the app store, and according to the description the USA version ,1.9.x and above, has an offline address database. It does not say the same thing for the UK version, but it is version 1.9.1, so maybe.

Last edited:

K1W1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Checking the AppsStore it looked to me that TomTom was only available for the iPhone and NOT the iPad. Am I wrong?

Sorry yes. I did say "like TomTom" because I thought that would be the one most people were more likely to know about. I'm sure TomTom will eventually have an iPad optimised app.
I have the Navfree Australia map on my iPad and it does seem to work fairly well. I had it going in the car the other day while I was a passenger and I made sure that both the wifi and 3G were turned off. It told me the correct position and speed on the road.
I haven't tried setting a route with it.
One of the reasons I got the iPad was to see if I could use it as an on motorcycle GPS by putting it in the map pocket of my tank bag. I think the Navfree may well do that function.

Mike_73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been using Navfree to actually get to a store. I kind of knew where the store was, so I was just testing whether or not the app is working well.
In my opinion I found it ok. It's what you'd expect from navigational software.
It doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but well, there are other apps for music and such.
I'm currently downloading the US maps for my vacation.

Navigation worked without 3G (I actually don't have a sim-card inserted as I use a mobile hotspot) and without wifi. I just needed the internet to get the route calculated.

OP
slothead

slothead

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
tjmanson1.wordpress.com
All good reports guys, thanks. I will be in London by next Friday morning. In the meantime I have downloaded navfree and in a few minutes I will try finding destinations (from here in the US). I don't really want to wait until I get to the UK before I find locations. I won't need the directions yet, just want to save the addresses. I don't want to be forced to find a hotspot or draw data from the Net as soon as I get there.

Most reactions