What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

got mugged..

Mayo7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i'm wondering if i can still track my 3g ipad when the 3g is turned off? wifi is still turned on. currently it's not showing the location on mobileme because i'm assuming the robbers turned the device off, but eventually they might turn it back on. if the tracking still does work with 3g turned off, does the ipad need to be connected to a wifi hotspot in order to be tracked?

also, what are the best actions to take when your iPad with 3g service is stolen? i got my police report filed. i have the serial # for the device (but didn't report them to the police yet.. should i?).

if it helps at all, i had a passcode on the ipad so i'm pretty sure it is useless to the robbers..

thanks for your help.

OP
M

Mayo7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
okay will do.

can anyone tell me if the tracking will still work with the conditions described in my first post?

i just don't want to waste my time keeping my eyes glued on mobileme if there's no chance of getting results.

SBHOKC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think you will only be able to track it once it finds an open wifi. At you had the pass lock on! Sorry it got stolen. .

OP
M

Mayo7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ouch.. i seriously hope that's not the case.

i suppose i could remove the passcode through mobileme but i'm not sure if that's a smart move.

is it possible for them to wipe my ipad without my passcode? and if they did, i'm assuming mobileme won't track my ipad anymore even when connected to 3g or wifi?

SBHOKC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ouch.. i seriously hope that's not the case.

i suppose i could remove the passcode through mobileme but i'm not sure if that's a smart move.

is it possible for them to wipe my ipad without my passcode? and if they did, i'm assuming mobileme won't track my ipad anymore even when connected to 3g or wifi?

You won't be able to wipe it or find it unless it connects via wifi. It has to have a connection if your 3G is off.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It is possible for them to wipe it by just restoring and setting up as a new iPad using iTunes I'm afraid...
DFU mode has it's downsides!

Itzxdjx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is possible for them to wipe it by just restoring and setting up as a new iPad using iTunes I'm afraid...
DFU mode has it's downsides!

Yeah I believe it is one of my friends came to me with a 3GS passcode and all and I was able to set up completely new with DFU. He then told me after i fixed it that he "found" it. But hopefully someone trying to steal and iPad dosent know enough. I hope you get your iPad back.

OP
M

Mayo7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks for the information everyone.

based on their character, i highly doubt that the muggers have any knowledge or equipment to restore it.

i'm guessing the ipad will either be sold, or tossed.

i sent a lock request through mobileme, so if the device is ever connected to the internet, i should be getting a notification. i'll just have to wait.

in the mean time, i will report the serial # to apple as a stolen device.
i will get the serial # to the police.
i will cancel my AT&T data plan.

anything else i should do?

Itzxdjx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looks as if you do all that you have done everything you can do! Keep and eye on that MobileMe hopefully someone makes a mistake and comes next to pass free wifi. If you really wanted to try and remove the passcode you never know!

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wonder if you had a wallpaper such as this.. criminals are fairly dumb. Though sometimes too dumb (to keep going with it!)

CIA_Logo_2_by_gandiusz.jpg

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
bogey08 said:
We have installed Device Locator and I believe it works even when the device is off. www.device-locator.com

I wonder if that's what Will I Am (from the Black eyed Peas) had in his last year he car got broken into and iPad was stolen, police was able to locate some how with something he had in it on app on it, I remember hearing about it on the news.....and that was before I ever got one

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We have installed Device Locator and I believe it works even when the device is off. www.device-locator.com
Come on now, let's be realistic. That is like saying it can track any random rock in the world. Sure it can, if you strap a GPS and cellphone to it to it.

Now if you mean log location via GPS while the iPhone/iPad is not connected to the Internet, yes it supposedly can do that. But the OP has no way to install this app. Personally I think the Website looks amateurish--there is a post about the system being down and unable to log any locations for a period of time.

Michael

Most reactions

Latest posts