What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Google Search Settings on iPad

DJameson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
Safari will not remember my search settings on my iPad 2. It keeps opening my search results in a new browser window despite me unchecking that option. I have cleared my cookies and cashe. I have also tried signing in but that doesn't help.
When I uncheck the option, it will work until I open a new window, then it goes back to opening results in a new window.
At the moment I am using a different search engine but prefer google.
Thank you in advance for any help.
Daniel

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
Safari will not remember my search settings on my iPad 2. It keeps opening my search results in a new browser window despite me unchecking that option. I have cleared my cookies and cashe. I have also tried signing in but that doesn't help.
When I uncheck the option, it will work until I open a new window, then it goes back to opening results in a new window.
At the moment I am using a different search engine but prefer google.
Thank you in advance for any help.
Daniel

Are you using the Google Toolbar in iPad Safari? That opens the search results in the same page. 'Settings', 'Safari', 'Search Engine' -> 'Google' and then they'll be a Google search box in the Safari menu bar. When you enter search terms into that box the results will appear on the same page.

Tim

OP
D

DJameson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Tim,

Thanks for your reply, I am aware that using the google search in the safari bar at the top will show my results on the same page. The problem is that when I then click on a search result, that page always opens in a new window even if I uncheck that option in Google's search setting. I want that result to open in the same page!

Regards,

Daniel.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Are you talking about the setting made on the Google site itself, using the settings icon next to where you're account, or where it says signon?

Google keeps track of what browser you are using, or maybe the account if you are signed in. If you are not signed in, it probably uses a cookie. It might even use cookies if you are signed in, since most of Google's search engine settings seem to be a combination of user and browser specific. (I'm basing that on some Google instructions for security settings that tell you they have to be set for each browser individually)

That being, I tested the setting both signed on and off, and could not make it fail the way you describe. I only have two idea/suggestions.

One, make sure you hit the Save Preferences button after changing the setting. I know, you probably did this, but I have to ask just in case.

Two, are cookies turned on in Safari in the Settings app? The normal setting, and what is working for me, is 'From Visited'.

Last edited:
OP
D

DJameson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I unchecked the "open search result in a new window" then clicked save settings. I did this when I was signed in and when I wasn't and my cookies are set to allow from sights I navigate to.

I have been looking on the web and I can see that lots of people are having problems with Google not remembering their settings. I cannot believe that their is not a way to fix this.

Regards,

Daniel

Most reactions