What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Google Earth App

Knightoftheapp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have an iPad 2 on the way (wifi ONLY). I'm going to get the Google Earth app.

As I understand it, this app has a function on it that shows you (the user) your own location. But this function is only available if you have 3G with your iPad. Is this true? Or does this function come with wifi only also?

Sjwred

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Appsempire said:

As I understand it, this app has a function on it that shows you (the user) your own location. But this function is only available if you have 3G with your iPad. Is this true? Or does this function come with wifi only also?

Google earth will still find you using the Wi-fi as a fix point,mine works perfectly i have a wi-fi only iPad.

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The application you're looking for is Google Maps, not Google Earth. Google Maps will show your location with wifi. Wifi is actually better for data then 3G is so there is no reason why maps won't work.

Google Earth is more of what I would consider a fun type application. You can zoom into all kinds of locations across the earth. It does have layers as does Google Maps but it does not work the same way as Maps does.

It's a nice app to have just the same. Enjoy your new iPad 2 when it arrives.

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Appsempire said:

Google earth will still find you using the Wi-fi as a fix point,mine works perfectly i have a wi-fi only iPad.

I couldn't get mine to do it, is there a step or something involved with it? Maps I know will do it.

Reaction score
Kinda sorta .
The wifi only does not have a GPS chip but can triangulate your location by the surrounding wifi routers, kinda sorta like your e911 chip triangulates with the surrounding cell sites. No cells, no location if you turn your phone off then back on in the boonies. Same with your Ipad, it will guesstimate your location and verify as it sees routers but if you turn off your Ipad in the boonies it wont know where it is upon reboot. There are some after market GPS devices that work will with a wifi only Ipad if you want true navigation

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Incpad

Reaction score
hookbill said:
I couldn't get mine to do it, is there a step or something involved with it? Maps I know will do it.

In Google Earth, you can press the Circle on the top bar, only press once, so that it turns blue, then wait and Google Earth will zoom in on your current location.

Btw. how do you have the iPad show your location on the go with Maps, if there is no inet connection? Mine shows a blue dot, but no map, which makes it pretty useless.

Sjwred

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just tried google earth again just in case I was being a muppet. I AM NOT YEA FOR ME IT WORKS.

OneMarcil

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Which application do I need to view the actual street like I am driving down the street? I thought s is Google Maps but that is not it.

Sent from my iPad 32gb WIFI 3G 1st generation.

Sjwred

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OneMarcil said:
Which application do I need to view the actual street like I am driving down the street? I thought s is Google Maps but that is not it.

The built in Maps app can only do this on iPad use satellite view, just touch the orange person on the spot u want to view,google earth on iPad DOES NOT do this.

mrtim

iPF Noob
Reaction score

It's interesting . . . when my WiFi iPad 2 was first delivered, none of the location aware apps seemed to know where I was (I know I tried google maps, google earth, opentable). They would each seem to think about it for a while, and then reported that the location was not available.

A day or two later I tried again, and now those same apps could all tell where I was. In my neighborhood there are several wifi routers nearby, so it's actually pretty accurate.

Maybe it has to download some wifi hotspot data from the cloud before the location service will work?

OneMarcil

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sjwred said:
The built in Maps app can only do this on iPad use satellite view, just touch the orange person on the spot u want to view,google earth on iPad DOES NOT do this.

I used the installed map application. All that I see when I touch the little orange person is the panoramic view not the view like driving down the road. I remember doing this before but, now I can not remember how this was done.

Sjwred

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OneMarcil said:
I used the installed map application. All that I see when I touch the little orange person is the panoramic view not the view like driving down the road. I remember doing this before but, now I can not remember how this was done.

Try to change setting perhaps.I have just tried mine works ok,strange that.

cramermj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Google Earth or Maps: Can I Import GPX file?

I will be getting my iPad2 in a week (32g WiFi only). Does Google Earth or Maps allow for importing a GPX file and showing it on the map?

Most reactions

Latest posts