What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Goodreader video interaction

NYC Adam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use Goodreader for business and personal use, but do NOT want to use it for video - they don't play in Goodreader anyway???

So my quandary is that if I get a video via email for instance and want to save it, the only option is to "open in Goodreader".

I checked setting s in and out of the app and can't seem to turn that function off? Am I missing something?

Please advise, and have a great 4th all -

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use Goodreader for business and personal use, but do NOT want to use it for video - they don't play in Goodreader anyway???

So my quandary is that if I get a video via email for instance and want to save it, the only option is to "open in Goodreader".

I checked setting s in and out of the app and can't seem to turn that function off? Am I missing something?

Please advise, and have a great 4th all -

OK - GoodReader can import the file and you can keep it there until you have an app that can play that video file. If the only option you're being offered is 'Open in GoodReader' that means you don't have an app that can play that format of file (or, if you're being pedantic, you have no app that registered with the iPad's operating system iOS its ability to play that format of video).

Remember that the iPad is not file-centric, like a PC - there is no central repository of files, each app keeps its own files. So, until you have an app that can process that file, you won't have any other option but to keep it with GoodReader. GoodReader can play some video formats but - since one of its primary functions is to help manage files - it has registered its ability to process many different file formats so that it can import and store them locally.

Later on, when you get an app - say OPlayer - that can play video files, that app will register its capability with iOS and then you'll be offered that app as an option when you select the file in GoodReader.

Tim

OP
NYC Adam

NYC Adam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Super helpful, many thanks Tim. Understood, however what about the video player where videos are housed? I play vids there, as well as some I get through email that play but can not be save anywhere but Goodreader. I am learning here which is very helpful again many thanks as always.

Can you recommend a good video player - you mentioned OPlayer - it that a great one? I don't need editing abilities or anything crazy, just a good reliable player that can play a multitude of formats. Thoughts?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Super helpful, many thanks Tim. Understood, however what about the video player where videos are housed? I play vids there, as well as some I get through email that play but can not be save anywhere but Goodreader. I am learning here which is very helpful again many thanks as always.

Can you recommend a good video player - you mentioned OPlayer - it that a great one? I don't need editing abilities or anything crazy, just a good reliable player that can play a multitude of formats. Thoughts?

What video player do you have at present, then? How do you get the videos into that player? If an email attachment doesn't offer that video player then it hasn't registered its ability to process that format file. That's an app developer issue, not an iPad one and you could let the Developer know.

OPlayer is the one recommended by most Members; it plays a very wide range of formats.

Tim

OP
NYC Adam

NYC Adam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks again Tim. Not sure what player I have actually?!
I pull some off my BB (think I'm getting an iPhone toady) into iTunes and then transfer them...
I'll try the player you/members recommend.
Have a great 4th -

NYC Adam

Most reactions