What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Goodreader & iCloud

King Hal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

Goodreader is one of the best iPad apps around and I've been using it for a couple of years. I was lucky enough to get the original iPad the day before its launch date and stuck with it until the iPad 3 persuaded me to upgrade.

All my apps restored from iPad 1 to iPad 3 without any problems - until Goodreader updated for the new retina display. Then the problems started!

I can no longer access iCloud and cannot even log onto my me.com email account.

I did what I thought the general advice would be and deleted the app and reinstalled it. Disaster! When you do this you you lose all your documents. The support site confirms this, buried somewhere deep.

Does anyone know, please, how to connect to me.com accounts and to use iCloud with Goodreader?

I've emailed Goodreader support twice & not a reply.

Thanks,

Hal

OP
King Hal

King Hal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, yes, done that & Apple apps show up but not Goodreader:(

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok. Not sure what is going on.

I recently had to delete and re-download GoodReader myself, and had not taken a close look since. But now, as near as I can tell all iCloud support has disappears. The folder is gone, the share options is gone. There is no mention of it in the settings.

When I burrow into the Usages settings and look at the GoodReader in my backup, I can see several files I had tucked away in iCloud. There does not seem to be any way to retrieve them. Fortunately, they are duplicates I put there for testing purposes.

Speaking of which, I do still have the Use iCloud option on the iPhone version, and it is working.

So, to repeat myself, I'm not sure what is going on.

nightflyer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I changed from an iPad 1 to iPad 3 and use Good Reader. I had no problems with files, they all showed up on my iPad 3.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I made a stupid mistake when restoring to my iPad 3, and it resulted in a lot of patchwork afterwards. That's how I lost the files.

The issue is whether you can see the Use iCloud option in GoodReader's settings (in the newest version), and whether when you turn it on you can see the iCloud folder that GoodReader creates.

Both of these have disappeared from my GoodReader app. On the iPad anyway. Still there on the iPhone.

OP
King Hal

King Hal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, it seems they've withdrawn iCloud support but don't want to admit it. I've sent a third request to their support & they're ignoring me. I've done a number of Google searches & nothing come up. I don't use it on my iPhone so can't vouch for it still being available.

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iCloud is still working on the iPhone, I managed to download files from the cloud. Maybe the update broke it?

OP
King Hal

King Hal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, it did break it, but why aren't they telling us or fixing it?

For me ths is the number one business app;(

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wwwhhhhaaattt!!! Noooooo! I love Goodreader. Tell me it's not true.

Sent from my one and only original iPad using iPF

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I checked the reviews, and some people are having trouble connecting to Box.com too. I tried it and I get an invalid server response (or something like). Checked Box.com with a couple other apps, and it is still working.

DropBox integration still seems to be ok.

I suspect the developers are scrambling to find out what went wrong, so they can tell us a fix is in the works instead of just muttering vaguely about looking into it.

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
How much Free Storage Does box.com give ? How better is it than dropbox ?

OP
King Hal

King Hal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hayles66 said:
Wwwhhhhaaattt!!! Noooooo! I love Goodreader. Tell me it's not true.

I think on iPad 1 you're fine, but don't update it. It seems to be the update for retina screen that's screwed it.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Oops. Too late. I have done the unthinkable and updated it without checking what it was first. Damn!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
How much Free Storage Does box.com give ? How better is it than dropbox ?

You get 5GB with the free account. There have been several promotions to up that to 50GB (however there are file size and other limitations).

Box has WebDAV (works with Pages, Numbers, and Keynote), DropBox does not. DropBox has a computer client for syncing, the free Box.com account does not. DropBox is integrated with more iOS apps that Box.com.

Both have iPad apps. Both can be accessed via a web browser. Both can share files via links. The free Box account will share folders. You have to pay for that with DropBox.

DropBox is geared towards the individual and small groups mostly. Box is more about larger businesses. Either can be used both ways. Most of the features available in the free versions of one are available in the pay version of the other.

I can go on and on, but basically it's a trade off.

On the other hand there is no reason why you have to choose just one.

Most reactions

Latest posts