What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Goodbye Xoom!

MNateo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys. So I think I am going to sell my xoom, which has yet to recieve a 4g chip in it. I learned that I don't use 3g nor 4g with my tablet. I want to sell it for an ip2, because, well to be honest, I hate my xoom. I've tried not to, but I just can't help (lol). Do you think I should wait to sell it for the 4g chip to be put in or sell it now? I'm not sure when it will be worth more. Thanks!

P.S. Xoom for sale :p

So excited for :ipad-back:

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum. I had a play with a Xoom at the local Verizon store while they were trying to straighten out our account. Spent a good 20 or 30 minutes with it. No matter how hard I tried I just couldn't like it. My iPad just seemed so much better in so many ways and on so many levels. So I get where you're coming from. It's too bad, I really did want them to succeed because competition spurs innovation (witness the Droid/iPhone battle), but the Xoom isn't going to be the "iPad killer" the pundits had hoped for.

That said, electronics, particularly computer electronics rarely if ever appreciate...even with added bells and whistles. Me? I'd put a Xoom on the market now before the shine wears off...and it's already started. Hey, at least you don't have to unload a Sammy Galaxy or one of RIM's Playbooks! ;)

Best of luck and let us know how it goes!

OP
M

MNateo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SOLD $635. I bought 2 ipads and I am planning on selling 1 trying to make some profit :D. Now I need a leather case. :D So excited to get it :D

sgtcasey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MNateo said:
SOLD $635. I bought 2 ipads and I am planning on selling 1 trying to make some profit :D. Now I need a leather case. :D So excited to get it :D

I sold my Xoom on eBay for $675 a month or so ago. Wish I'd gotten more for it but I was happy to get that. Felt like I had to get rid of it before Google did any more damage.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using iPF

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:

I know the wifi-only Zoom is out now - I think it's $599 - it has 32GB of storage. Personally, I want to get an Android tablet, just to play with it and learn Android. I think I may eventually bite on the Nook Color - now that it runs apps, it's a cheap entry-level Android tablet ($250, I think?)....

I really haven't spent enough time with the Zoom to truly evaluate it, but I personally would love to get away from Apple.... I need more customization! Currently, my iPad 1 is jail broken, so it's keeping me happy, but I',m a little worried about upgrading to a newer iPad (was planning to jumping on the iPad 3 when it comes out) but seeing the issues they are having with jail breaking the iPad 2, I'm a little nervous that Apple may be able to make the iPad 3 non-jailbreakable - and I will not buy another Apple product until it has already been jail broken... Apple just limits the devices too much for my taste.

So, Apple, listen up - some customers WILL move away once Apple completely stops people from fully customizing their device (I'm one!). Maybe Apple makes the best tablet hardware (I'm not so convinced of that either though - third iPad in a year!), but if I can't make the device do what I want it to do, it's all for nothing!

A perfect example is widgets on the lock screen - I've never seen a better example of "wasted real-estate" than the damn lock screen. Of course, since I'm jail broken, I can still get what I want (SmartScreen)! Same with custom sounds for new emails, etc... Come on - VERY basic stuff there!

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Fortunately most of us don't need the aggro of customisation.
Widgets was the first thing I disabled on setting up my mac

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hasty said:
Fortunately most of us don't need the aggro of customisation.
Widgets was the first thing I disabled on setting up my mac

Interesting... I haven't found one person who saw the widgets on my iPad screen and then didn't want it for their iPad? What possible reason would there to be to look at a blank screen compared to a screen with information that you want on it?

OP
M

MNateo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One of the downfalls of the xoom was it's widgets and customization. Right now 3.0 can only access half the of the ram installed. So that 1ghz of ram you paid for, not going to help. every time you "go home" the whole screen needs to redraw all your precious widgets. That gets old VERY quickly.

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MNateo said:
One of the downfalls of the xoom was it's widgets and customization. Right now 3.0 can only access half the of the ram installed. So that 1ghz of ram you paid for, not going to help. every time you "go home" the whole screen needs to redraw all your precious widgets. That gets old VERY quickly.

That's the first I've heard of widget and customization being the downfall of a device!!

Do you own a Zoom?

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
Not anymore.

MNateo sold his Xoom and bought two iPads instead :D

I guess what it boils down to is this - there are two types of users - those who accept what's given to them and those who are always trying to get more out of a device. obviously, those who aren't interested in customization are in the first camp... Me, I'm ALWAYS trying to make my device to more and do things better!

Most reactions