What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gmail issues

sethm1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure how or when, but the "trash" button at the bottom now replaced with "archive". Where I the archive folder?

Also the trash bin icon up on top rt side is now an arrow pointing down at a box.

OP
S

sethm1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok may have fixed the issue and not sure if another way.

At first it was not clear if gmail set as imap or exchange. Pretty certain not pop.

I deleted the account then re set as imap. Then noticed my calendar app/icon on home page was different and all entries gone.
So, then set up a second gmail (exchange) & unchecked the mail button.
Now the calendar working & the trash bin & button returned in gmail mail.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
When you have your GMail setup with the default (IMAP) settings, then there is an option in the account to enable Archiving. Tap on the account in Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendar > then the GMail account, and scroll down slightly to turn archiving off. The trashcan will reappear.

The Exchange setup for GMail does not have this option, so you will always get the trashcan when using this type of account.

OP
S

sethm1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks.
I wonder if I actually had the account set up as imap. I don't think it was as exchange. When I re-did the set up,
The default was trash.

Before deleting the account I did go into the advance settings but could not find where to revert from archive to trash.

Am I correct that with imap that in order to access the google calendar I must set up a new gmail account as an
exchange? Or did I mess something up?

Also (discussed in another post) what about deleting an email from the iPad and automatically delete from the googleserver? Right now under the advanced settings (on the iPad) I have checked the trash under server, but seems
email still showing up in gmail (even though deleted on the iPad).

Thx

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The IMAP account will access your primary calendar. If you only have one calendar, that's fine. If you have multiple calendars you will have to set up GMail as an Exchange account. When you are done you visit m.google/sync in Safari on the iPad, log in if necessary, select your device, then select the calendars you want to sync. Your primary calendar is already selected, and will work without this step.

You cannot sync contacts with the IMAP setup. Only the Exchange setup will sync contacts, and only the My Contacts folder will be synced. Active sync (the Exchange service being used) does not support groups.

I'm guessing you are talking about this thread, there does not seem to be an easy way to force Google to 'really' delete the mail. Everything ends up in the All GMail folder. It might be possible to correct this, but I don't know how.

OP
S

sethm1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wonderful - so then no ONE method to sync mail & Contacts?

After reading your post went to my Contacts appl - sure enough empty (& I have various Groups - I use the Contacts XL App).

When I re configured the G-mail a Imap did not see Archive/Trash option.

And sure enough having the Calendar set to the exchange is not helping the Contact issue either.

Tried the m.google/sync in Safari - but the iPad auto inserts the Home Page. - and thus cant find m.google/sync.

Oh and which set up will allow (Contacts) Grouping?

Gmail is set as IMAP. And -

When I mark a message in IMAP as deleted:

Auto-Expunge on - Immediately update the server. (default)

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Wonderful - so then no ONE method to sync mail & Contacts?

The Exchange setup will sync everything except Notes. If you don't care if Notes sync to a mail folder in GMail, then Exchange is the only setup you need. The IMAP setup is somewhat more flexible in some ways, but lacks Push notifications; Most people choose the Exchange setup.

After reading your post went to my Contacts appl - sure enough empty (& I have various Groups - I use the Contacts XL App).

Just log into the desktop website and copy all your contacts into the My Contacts folder. New contacts are added here by default, so it should stay up to date. Perhaps you can add new contacts in the XL app to My Contacts first, and then add them to a group later to keep things clean?

When I re configured the G-mail a Imap did not see Archive/Trash option.

You wont' see it during the setup. You have to go back to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars and select the account again. The Archive Messages switch at the bottom.

And sure enough having the Calendar set to the exchange is not helping the Contact issue either.

Why would it?

Tried the m.google/sync in Safari - but the iPad auto inserts the Home Page. - and thus cant find m.google/sync.

My fault. I got in a hurry and didn't double check the URL. It should have been m.google.com/sync

Oh and which set up will allow (Contacts) Grouping?

To the best of my knowledge only an iCloud account can create and sync contact groups.

Gmail is set as IMAP. And -

When I mark a message in IMAP as deleted:

Auto-Expunge on - Immediately update the server. (default)

I haven't experimented with these settings. I've left them in default, and as I said that seems to mean that all mail ends up in All GMail. I just go to the All GMail folder periodically and delete it, on the server by preference since I can select and delete more with fewer steps that way. These settings should only affect the IMAP account settings. The Exchange setup probably doesn't give a darn what you put there.

OP
S

sethm1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. Will go back to Exchange.

On the server, I believe the gmail settings are on default.

So when I go back to setting up gmail on the iPad, on the "Add account" screen there are many
different mail options- do I choose the "Gmail" ?

Do I turn archive off or leave on ?
Trash option is forced to the iPad. Can not ( even after leaving settings and going back) delete
from the server.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts