What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gmail Help Please

iPadThai

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am brand spanking new to the forum... read your rules and love it.

I do have a question about Gmail on iPad. I just changed my gmail password on the laptop and now my iPad have this message "cannot get mail user name or password is in corrected". Nuts..is it not? I checked my gmail setting and IMAP is enable. I delete my gmail box and started it over - but no avail. Please help.

Last edited by a moderator:

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am brand spanking new to the forum... read your rules and love it.

I do have a question about Gmail on iPad. I just changed my gmail password on the laptop and now my iPad have this message "cannot get mail user name or password is in corrected". Nuts..is it not? I checked my gmail setting and IMAP is enable. I delete my gmail box and started it over - but no avail. Please help.
Welcome to the forum! There are a lot of great people here willing to lend a hand anytime. Often using the Advanced Search box (at the top of every page) will lead you to the answers you're looking for. If not, feel free to post a question in the appropriate area.

Please take a moment to view the information here to get the most out of your iPad as well as our forum:

Forum Rules - Please read
Hacking Rules - Please read
iPad for Beginners
Free iPad User Manuals
Download The Official iPad Forum App

BTW, I moved your post to the iPad Help area where you’re likely to get a better response to your question.

Welcome again and enjoy!

OP
I

iPadThai

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello Rich,
Would you tell me how to get to the "iPad Help " area to read the response? I am
dense and have not been able to find that area yet.
thanks Rich

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello Rich,
Would you tell me how to get to the "iPad Help " area to read the response? I am
dense and have not been able to find that area yet.
thanks Rich
You just posted in it. :) If you scroll up you'll see your original post. You'll also get an email when someone responds with a link to the thread you posted in.

To see all of the forums on the iPadForums.net website, click on "Forum" in the top toolbar of any page and you'll see a list of all of the forums (and sub-forums).

To do the same thing using the iPadForums.net App on your iPad, tap on "Forums" in the bottom tool bar and then tap "Apple iPad Discussions".

As you can see so far there are no suggestions but with about 130,000 members some folks should chime in soon.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you mean by deleting the inbox, so If my suggestion is a duplicate of what you've done all I can suggest is try it again anyway. Who knows, maybe it will work this time.

Go into Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars; select your GMail account and delete it. Now add it again using the correct information. (you might want to confirm the info is correct by logging into GMail from the Safari web browser first).

As an alternate to the default GMail setup, many users prefer to set their GMail accounts up as Exchange accounts. This has several advantages and only one disadvantage (that I can think of). You get the ability to sync your contacts (My Contacts groups only), multiple calendars (after enabling them up at m.google.com/sync), and push email. You lose Note syncing.

Setting up Google Sync with your iOS device - Google Mobile Help

Be sure to delete or disable the old GMail account on the iPad first if you decide to do this.

OP
I

iPadThai

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did just what you suggested above, this time the error message stated "cannot get mail, the user name or password
in imap.gmail.com is incorrect? I am going to cry :-(
please any more trick?
ipadthai

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You used the Exchange setup, or the default GMail setup?

Because the Exchange setup shouldn't go to the imap server. You should enter exactly what it says in the setup steps.

If you are still trying to use the GMail default, it needs IMAP enabled. It's supposed to be already, but you can check it under your GMail settings on the site. Here is what they should look like.

GMailSettings.jpg

And you didn't say if you could log in to the GMail website using the username and password. Remember, your user name for GMail is the entire email address, not just your name ([email protected])

Most reactions