What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Glad to be here

salzbf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi! I am brand new to this forum and appreciate its professionalism. I do not yet have an iPad and have been, frankly, researching the iPad vs its competitors. I have a Barnes & Noble color nook ('rooted', as they say) and have at least a few dozen ebooks on it and my PC (for business reasons I had a PC and could not financially justify switching to a Mac). I have, however, repaired and restored my brother-in-laws old Mac, so I'm always interested in trying something different and new.

If I choose an iPad (my thinking is 64GB and 3G) can I easily transfer my ebooks (in epub format) to my iPad? Will I need an iTunes account just to load books I have already paid for and own?

A bit of history - I started with Univac (is anyone else old enough to remember it?) on Dec 15th, 1958, one week after I mustered out of the Navy. I remained in the computer field my entire working life until I retired in October, 2001 (shortly after 9/11 - my wife insisted that I retire and not return to working in the Wall Street area). Since then as a hobby I have tried to maintain a modest 'geek' level status and any computer type system that I acquire is immediately, literally or figuratively, opened and torn apart to learn how it works and to upgrade it beyond the manufacturers original specs/base software.

Presuming I get the iPad my immediate thought would be to hack or jailbreak it, although not without fully understanding the benefits. As a general rule, the risks do not bother me.

Any further posts beyond this intro will be as short and specific as possible. Again, I am glad to be here.

Last edited:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

I noted you were interested in jail breaking, so head on over to our hacking section and read up about all the latest news there.

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

Please read the rules too!!

http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Tim
Scotland

ipadfreak69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
salzbf said:
Hi! I am brand new to this forum and appreciate its professionalism. I do not yet have an iPad and have been, frankly, researching the iPad vs its competitors. I have a Barnes & Noble color nook ('rooted', as they say) and have at least a few dozen ebooks on it and my PC (for business reasons I had a PC and could not financially justify switching to a Mac). I have, however, repaired and restored my brother-in-laws old Mac, so I'm always interested in trying something different and new.

If I choose an iPad (my thinking is 64GB and 3G) can I easily transfer my ebooks (in epub format) to my iPad? Will I need an iTunes account just to load books I have already paid for and own?

A bit of history - I started with Univac (is anyone else old enough to remember it?) on Dec 15th, 1958, one week after I mustered out of the Navy. I remained in the computer field my entire working life until I retired in October, 2001 (shortly after 9/11 - my wife insisted that I retire and not return to working in the Wall Street area). Since then as a hobby I have tried to maintain a modest 'geek' level status and any computer type system that I acquire is immediately, literally or figuratively, opened and torn apart to learn how it works and to upgrade it beyond the manufacturers original specs/base software.

Presuming I get the iPad my immediate thought would be to hack or jailbreak it, although not without fully understanding the benefits. As a general rule, the risks do not bother me.

Any further posts beyond this intro will be as short and specific as possible. Again, I am glad to be here.

Welcome!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions