What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting Ready for iOS 4.2 - Read This!

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I know that many of you, like me, are anxiously awaiting iOS 4.2 for iPad.

This article by The Mac Observer lays out the steps to consider performing while you wait, and even helps you think about if you should and what you'll get by upgrading.

If you're jailbroken, consult the iPad Hacking subforum, I really have no experience, nor intention of doing this.

So let me add my own tricks to speeding up backups:
1) Clean out all apps that store anything (Wired magazine app, GoodReader, VLC, ReaddleDocs etc.) Make sure you make a copy on your hard drive of any data you really need! With in-app purchases, you should be able to download he content again. Check with the app devs to be sure!

As a rule, I keep everything in GoodReader so I use the GoodReaderUSB utility to convenienty, temporarily copy everything to a folder on my desktop called "iOS 3.sux Backup." Ok, just kidding about that last part :D

2) It is still going to take a long time probably, so do it before bed tonight.

Lets hope that the rumors are true and tomorrow is upgrade day!

ivanmarkchang

iPF Noob
Reaction score
my iPad was jailbroken. restored it last night to regular 3.2.2 to get ready for the 4.2 update :)

i will be waiting impatiently for the update tomorrow.

Ksane

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine's sitting jailbroken in 3.2.1 and is going to stay that way until I hear from everyone else whether the wifi problems are resolved from the GM release.
How do you know for sure the update is tomorrow?

Sam707

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm gonna leave it to 3.2.1 until 4.2 gets jailbreaked

Yakuzagang5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine's sitting jailbroken in 3.2.1 and is going to stay that way until I hear from everyone else whether the wifi problems are resolved from the GM release.

WhAt wifi problems are in 3.2.2? If that's what you're referring to. I haven't noticed any problems at all lol

Todd M

iPF Noob
Reaction score
my iPad was jailbroken. restored it last night to regular 3.2.2 to get ready for the 4.2 update :)

i will be waiting impatiently for the update tomorrow.

Do you have to restore it to normal 3.2.2 to get the upgrade? That is an unnecessary step isn't it? It's still 3.2.2. even with JB...

Ksane

iPF Noob
Reaction score

WhAt wifi problems are in 3.2.2? If that's what you're referring to. I haven't noticed any problems at all lol
There's threads all o er about the wifi problems in the ios 4.2 GM release. I had to uninsrtall it because of it. Just because YOUhaven't noticed problems doesn't mean others haven't.

Ksane

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Here's an article with links about it:
iOS 4.2 Delayed Due to iPad WiFi Issues, New GM Build Coming
And neudof-there's no official jailbreak released for 4.2 for the iPad. They want to hold off until the final 4.2 is released by Apple.

iwhat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great post here! But honestly I am having great time with the 4.2GM,yes I had plenty of issues with my Wifi on the "update" to 4.2,like can't connect,ipad can't fetch proper configuration from router and so forth,but later on when I did a "restore" with the 4.2GM file,my problems completely vanished and best of all my wifi range is totally awesome compared to 3.2.2 plus extreme 3G speed. I am not boasting here,it is the truth. I think I won't even update to 4.2 Final unless my GM expires or 4.3 or something like that comes out. :)

Thanks

[P.S: My reply sounds semi-offtopic but yea I couldn't resist,because when people complain about something ,which something is doing great with you,you really feel bad. But what the heck? Experiences differ from people to people.]

iwhat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Original post went to /dev/null as it seemed to hurt some people's feelings which wasn't the real intention of the post. Sorry about that :(

Anyways don't bother about this one here :)

Last edited:

Most reactions