What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting apps

pete761

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since upgrading to OS 5, I am being asked to supply credit card details before being allowed to download free apps. Any ideas why ?

Pete761

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You always need some form of payment on file, even to buy free apps, as far as I know. You can use a gift card if you prefer to not use a credit card.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Pete - welcome to the forum! :)

Agree w/ Kay, i.e. you need an account at the Apple store which will require providing credit card information, so not unexpected.

But my main reason for responding is to suggest that you remove your email address as your location; spammers can use email harvesting software to grab that address and possibly inundate you w/ spam - yikes! :thumbsdown:

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
giradman said:
Hi Pete - welcome to the forum! :)

Agree w/ Kay, i.e. you need an account at the Apple store which will require providing credit card information, so not unexpected.

But my main reason for responding is to suggest that you remove your email address as your location; spammers can use email harvesting software to grab that address and possibly inundate you w/ spam - yikes! :thumbsdown:

Hence why it's against the forum rules, for your own protection, so yes, Pete, please remove the email address from your location.

The Archangel

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Just setup an iTunes account and set the payment method to none so it doesn't ask for credit card.

they do make it tricky where if you just go into your account settings it may not display the NONE option for payment method. Yet if you try to purchase a free app and then go into the payment method it will display NONE as an option. You then can add credits via gift cards to make purchases.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts