What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting AirPrint to work on all network printers?

Hal05154

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey gang,

I trolling over at ModMyI, and came across this post from one of their members. My boss has been going buggy because he can't print from his iPad, so I've been keeping an eye out.

Now, I'm not tech head, but if I follow this right, you can print to all networked printer this way from you iPad.

Mac users go here:
High Caffeine Content: Return AirPrint sharing to Mac OS X v10.6.5

or

AirPrint Hacktivator Netputing

Win Users go here:
How to Install AirPrint to Enable Wireless Printing on Windows? | Jaxov

The original post from ModMyI is here.

Hacktivate AirPrint on Mac, Windows Shared Printers

I hope this helps! I'll be using it when I get my iPad (22 days & counting!)

Hal

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was searching for this yesterday trying to help a new person with a particular printer. Information was hard to find.

Good job, you came up with some good stuff.

OP
Hal05154

Hal05154

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm really glad this helped you guys out. It's nice to be able to add to the knowledge datebase once and a while. :D

I have a question for you though. Did you use the Mac exploit, or the Windows? I'll be using a WinXP machine with my iPad.

Thanks!

Hal

jboland17

iPF Noob
Reaction score
None of the iPads are able to print with their wifi the way that a laptop can?

b00bie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I used the Windows one and it works great on my Win7 machine. The only XP machine I have left is a laptop which does not have a printer attached to it, but I think that as far as running the service it should be the same, you should be OK.

Tom

Last edited:

tdub4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They pulled the windows zip file from the site. Anyone know where else to get it??

tdub4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, I got it and installed it. Ran into the issue where it asks for username and password for my computer (which I have never setup). In doing some research I found that if I turn on the Windows Guest Account and stop/restart the AirPrint service it works.

However, I also came across some posts that stated you should never turn on the Guest Account (I assume for security reasons) and that this should be accomplished through the printer preferences security section...although I have had no success with that.

Anyone have ideas on this one?

b00bie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No, I enabled the guest account on mine, I am paranoid about security but I think I have my home network secure enough that it should not be an issue. Having said that if you do come accross a workaround please let me know. Thanks.

Tom

tdub4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here is what I found (and worked)...may not be much different than the Guest account but adds one more layer of security with password:

If you get a box asking for a username and password, this HAS to be a local account on the PC/Server that your sharing the printer from NOT a Domain account.

• I had no luck with using the Guest account, so to make things easier, I created a new account (Right Click My Computer > Manage > Local Users & Groups > Users) called 'print' (Username & Password both 'print')
  • You may need to make sure that the newly created account has 'print' privelages to your shared printer (Check this within the properties of your shared printer > Security tab). If not, add the user.

OP
Hal05154

Hal05154

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tdub4,

While I realize google is my friend, could you please post where you found the windows files? I'd like to d/l it so I can put it aside for later (ie, Dec. 26.... :D)

Here is what I found (and worked)...may not be much different than the Guest account but adds one more layer of security with password:

If you get a box asking for a username and password, this HAS to be a local account on the PC/Server that your sharing the printer from NOT a Domain account.

• I had no luck with using the Guest account, so to make things easier, I created a new account (Right Click My Computer > Manage > Local Users & Groups > Users) called 'print' (Username & Password both 'print')
  • You may need to make sure that the newly created account has 'print' privelages to your shared printer (Check this within the properties of your shared printer > Security tab). If not, add the user.

Big samm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok guys I installed AirPrint and it works fine but I have a canon mg6120 and now the application easy photo print from canon for the iPad and iPhone can't detect my printer... It's a hit or miss... Sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt... Before installing AirPrint it use to work fine... How can I remove the AirPrint hack? Using windows vista 64 bit...

b00bie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just to test it, open up your task manager and stop airprint.exe from running and then see if your easy photo print app works as it used to.

Tom

Most reactions

Latest posts