What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting a Kindle even though I have an iPad?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The only reason I don't have a Kindle is that I can't justify it on my budget. The iPad works well enough as a book reader. Until the Kindle drops below $100 US, I'm not in the market. It's getting close though.

I like the device and would use it if I had it. I liked the first generation Kindle I owned (and broke) before the iPad came out.

fuzzyfelts

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have both, they each have their uses in different environments, Kindle for outside/sunny weather reading and the iPad for indoor reading. Whisper sync works well over wi-fi between each so you are always on the correct page whichever you are reading on. As mentioned before, the battery life on the Kindle is excellent compared with the iPad!

Sent from Wales, using my iPad & iPF.

M

Manou

I have both; my Kindle is for reading and my iPad is for playing.

I hate reading on an LSD screen so the only time I have read on the iPad was when I forgot to grab my Kindle (that was not a fun day) or when the reading material has a lot of pictures and/or is in color (my People magazine).

Same here. I have both devices, but do all my reading on my Kindle. I use the Kindle App for the iPad for vooks and books/magazines with a lot of pictures only.

emm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only reason I don't have a Kindle is that I can't justify it on my budget. The iPad works well enough as a book reader. Until the Kindle drops below $100 US, I'm not in the market. It's getting close though.

I like the device and would use it if I had it. I liked the first generation Kindle I owned (and broke) before the iPad came out.

In effect the Kindle is "free" now. The deals on the special offers version end up paying your purchase price back in no time. For example, 20% off flat screen tvs--$200 and up depending on thw model. I know it's sucking you in to more consumerism but if you're careful you'll find the deals add up. You might want to wait until the fall when the new Kindle tablets come out. Then the current model will go for a song.

Dee Ashley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.houseofwags.com
I also have both a Kindle (original one) and the ipad2 with the kindle app. I have carpal tunnel and the kindle is much easier on my hands. It is more difficult to find a comfortable position to read the ipad2. I even went out and bought a stand to use for reading, but then I have to sit on a harder chair at my kitchen table. So reading is on the kindle, unless I have the ipad out somewhere. And I love the ability to go where I left off reading, regardless of what device is with me.

Elliern

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have both iPad 2 and Kindle 2. I love both! However, now that I have my iPad (with my yoobao cover and Moshi iVisor AG screen protector), I find I use my iPad while reading indoors and always when reading in bed. It also is easy to read while sitting on my porch. (Sometimes, I do have to tilt it a bit to remove my own reflection.)
But, when I go to the beach or sit by the pool, I always use my Kindle. It is lighter and very easy to read in bright sunlight. I also take the Kindle when I am going to doctor's office or other appointments where I know I will be waiting awhile.
If I only had a choice of one, I would choose the iPad, but it really is nice to have both...and it is great to continue reading the same book on both devices.

SmoshFan99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend getting both...the screen size is about the same and there's nothing you can do on a kindle that you can't do on an iPad

breezur

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also have both (although not a kindle i have an off brand ereader) and I agree with the people that said they each have their own use. I use my ereader for everyday use and I use my iPad for textbooks. I don't think there is anything wrong with having both. Also the thing about fitting them both into your budget well that's easy when you buy a less popular one ;).

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
SmoshFan99 said:
I wouldn't recommend getting both...the screen size is about the same and there's nothing you can do on a kindle that you can't do on an iPad

this is true in the case of the kindle DX but not the kindle.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Yptcn

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have both . I really love my iPad but the Kindle is much better to read a book for a long time . I couldn't read for hours on the iPad and fell no discomfort with the Kindle .

Yptcn

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I like the device and would use it if I had it. I liked the first generation Kindle I owned (and broke) before the iPad came out.[/QUOTE]

My Kindle was out of order , I called Amazon and they sent me the latest generation device .Outstanding costumer support !!!

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wouldn't buy a Kindle at the moment. There are new models expected out for Xmas. Rumors of a Nook touch style (smaller/touch screen) and color (and possibly Android compatible).

---
- Posted with TapaTalk for iPhone

Most reactions

Latest posts