What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Get FULL Android or Windows 8 on iPad?

alpha3lob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I love iOS, but I would also love to be able to use Android or Windows 8 (Once it's out) on the iPad. I don't mean 'Screen Sharing' solutions, and I don't mean emulators like the Cydia tweak 'Dreamboard', but full OSs, and when starting your iPad, you choose which one to start up to, like Mac OS X's 'Boot Camp'.
Would be nice to get some replies,
A3

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Not going to happen in anything like the foreseeable future.

I remember an Android port was attempted with the iPad 1 early on. They gave up. It was simply too much trouble to make it usable. The work to function ratio makes it easier to just buy more than one device. You'll have to show a huge ground swell of support, money style support, before you're likely to convince any hackers to take the project seriously.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I would want this option on a future iPad. I think it would take away the simplicity of using the iPad if that were to happen.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you want android on a tablet it would be a lot easier to buy an android tablet,than trying to find ways to convert an iPad to run an android operating system.

OP
A

alpha3lob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Alright thanks all,
And I do pefer iOS, but it would have been nice to use android or windows 8 every now and then :)
Anyway thanks for helping :D
A3

cwinter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you want android on a tablet it would be a lot easier to buy an android tablet,than trying to find ways to convert an iPad to run an android operating system.

Exactly. Reminds me of people on the Ford Mustang forum asking how to modify their V6 Mustang to be as fast as the V8 Mustang GT. Well, the cheapest way to do that is to just get the Mustang GT in the first place! :lol:

You're trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. It can happen with enough effort but it ain't going to be pretty!

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Splashtop came out with an app called windows 8 metro testbed (or something similar to that). It's basically a remote desktop client, specifically designed for windows 8. You will need to have the trial version (or when released, the full version) of windows 8 running on your computer, and have your computer on. I'm not sure of the process after that. But the description of the app says its supposed to replicate a windows 8 tablet, gestures and everything. Though it is 25$ which is a bit out of my price range, so I haven't actually tested it. But I'm sure it's on YouTube or other sites. Browse around and see what's out there.

As for natively having android or windows 8 running on the iPad hardware seems highly unlikely to me.

VictoriaCourt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use my android for geo-tagging especially if I am on field works. Just out of curiosity, do IOS supports geo-tagging as well?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
VictoriaCourt said:
I use my android for geo-tagging especially if I am on field works. Just out of curiosity, do IOS supports geo-tagging as well?

Yes it does.look in the app store for GPX Master,one of its features is geotagging.Best of all,it's a free app!

Most reactions

Latest posts