What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Get error message with epub books on Ipad 2

Sparkle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I put my epub books into Itunes and moved over to Ipad 2. When I try to read them on Ipad 2 I get error message saying "Book Format Error...format is not recognized, or is invalid." What can I do so I can read my epub books on Ipad 2.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am going to assume you are trying to read the epubs with the iBooks app?

If so, from where do you get your epub books? If they are from someplace like Barnes & Noble or Kobo (Borders), then they probably have Digital Rights Management (DRM) protection on them. Which means that only the reading device supported by that store can read the book. For example, you can only read Barnes & Noble epubs on the Nook or Nook app.

To further complicate things, libraries also use DRM. They use DRM made by Adobe, which is used with Adobe Digital Reader - which some devices can read. They can be read by various apps (BlueFire reader and Overdrive, to name two), but not the iBooks app.

All that to say, the only DRM-protected epubs that can be read by the iBooks app are e-books purchased from the App Store.

Although that doesn't help you read books on iBooks - I hope it helps to understand why. DRM is the reason for most e-book reading "errors"...

Marilyn

Rotodavid123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the same problem when I tried to convert all my epubs from my Sony reader to my iPad. The only way I found was to remove the DRM. I know you may not feel entirely comfortable doing this, but I reasoned that I had purchased the epubs originally for my reader and all I was wanting to do was transfer them to my iPad. I used [Moderator edit: Removed reference to DRM removal tools...]. Pretty simple process.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Please don't give tips on how to remove DRM here on the forums. Removing DRM is illegal in some countries, a hazy gray area in others and completely ignored in yet more. As this is an international forum, it is best if we stay away from any discussions on DRM removal.

Thanks for your understanding.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts