What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Geek Squad Founder Uses iPad 2 and iMovie to File “Citizen Journalist†Video of Fire

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN8J_gpu8v0[/ame]​

Really cool story on TUAW today about Robert Stephens, co-founder of Geek Squad (which is now owned by Best Buy), who used his iPhone, iPad 2 and iMovie to file a “citizen journalist†report about a gas explosion that he saw while driving to work in Minneapolis last week. As soon as Stephens saw the explosion he started filming the aftermath with his iPhone 4, including the huge plume of smoke. He then pulled into a nearby parking lot and was able to quickly transfer the video of the blaze over to his iPad 2, edited the video, added the map, subtitle and voice-over with iMovie, and then uploaded it all to YouTube and iReport. Stephens said that the whole process, including uploading, took approximately four minutes! Then within no time at all, Stephens’ footage was being used on CNN and MSNBC. He says that he’s not even a journalist, yet his Apple equipment still enabled him to file a news report deemed worthy of airtime by the news networks!

Source: TUAW Geek Squad founder reports breaking news with iPad, iMovie

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow! Thats a major fireball. That thing kept spewing out fire. Goes to show how the iPad or ipad2 and imovies came in handy. Great video and commentating. Makes me wanna go mess around with my imovies now ;-)

Apple Picker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unsafe driver! Major show off!

Really cool story on TUAW today about Robert Stephens, co-founder of Geek Squad (which is now owned by Best Buy), who used his iPhone, iPad 2 and iMovie to file a “citizen journalist†report about a gas explosion that he saw while driving to work in Minneapolis last week. As soon as Stephens saw the explosion he started filming the aftermath with his iPhone 4, including the huge plume of smoke. He then pulled into a nearby parking lot and was able to quickly transfer the video of the blaze over to his iPad 2, edited the video, added the map, subtitle and voice-over with iMovie, and then uploaded it all to YouTube and iReport. Stephens said that the whole process, including uploading, took approximately four minutes! Then within no time at all, Stephens’ footage was being used on CNN and MSNBC. He says that he’s not even a journalist, yet his Apple equipment still enabled him to file a news report deemed worthy of airtime by the news networks!

Wow! MSO! Just to show and brag about what iPhone and Ipad can do with use of iMovie about his find along the way to work, he completely disregard the safety of himself and others on the road by shooting video with his phone WHILE driving.

From founder of geek aquad or Freak squad? Insane! His own video is a hard evidence for distracted driving which is unacceptable.

Very unsafe driver ha?

Apple Picker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple products made life easier by making this kind of gadget handy. But please remember to observe and exercise caution while using it. People are becoming obsessed with these gadgets while forgetting the safety of themselves and others.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A quick question. How would he copy the footage over to the iPad in the car? I assume he must have had a laptop with iTunes on it with him?

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A quick question. How would he copy the footage over to the iPad in the car? I assume he must have had a laptop with iTunes on it with him?

I know right.....lol. Unfortunately imovies needs movies to be synced thru iTunes most of the time in order for it to be seen within the app. Unless he plugged iphone4 up to iPad thru the port and the vid came up that way...doubt it though cuz so many people having trouble importing vids into imovies. I found a wrk around, works for me, by using reel director. So I won't need to sync to iTunes, which I hate doing ;-)

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple products made life easier by making this kind of gadget handy. But please remember to observe and exercise caution while using it. People are becoming obsessed with these gadgets while forgetting the safety of themselves and others.

True, good point! I was thinkn someone else was driving..lol. He lucky he didn't crash or it woulda been caught on the vid also, unless he did and edited it out using imovies..lmao
Be cautious and safe people, tech gadgets are cool but ain't so cool if they cause u to let down ur guard. Just like the person who was texting like crazy n walked out into the street n got hit by a car...lol dummy..lol

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I know right.....lol. Unfortunately imovies needs movies to be synced thru iTunes most of the time in order for it to be seen within the app. Unless he plugged iphone4 up to iPad thru the port and the vid came up that way...doubt it though cuz so many people having trouble importing vids into imovies. I found a wrk around, works for me, by using reel director. So I won't need to sync to iTunes, which I hate doing ;-)

A wish for IOS5 - sharing this kind of content between devices over bluetooth.

Most reactions

Latest posts