What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Garageband recording question

huber

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey everyone my question is there a way and if so what do I need to record through garageband and not pick up through the speaker?

Example...I am trying to record our pastor to make podcast so we are ran from our sound board with a 1 4 cable with a 3.5mm adapter into the ipad.

When we record it still picks up the people talking by the ipad!

Is there a way around this or to stop it?

I have tried messing with noise gate etc no luck

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I''ve copied this across to the Help section, where I think you might receive better attention.

Tim

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey everyone my question is there a way and if so what do I need to record through garageband and not pick up through the speaker?

Example...I am trying to record our pastor to make podcast so we are ran from our sound board with a 1 4 cable with a 3.5mm adapter into the ipad.

When we record it still picks up the people talking by the ipad!

Is there a way around this or to stop it?

I have tried messing with noise gate etc no luck
The iPad requires something it recognizes as an actual microphone input or it will keep the external mic on.

Here is a pretty decent article discussing how to set up the iPad up for audio recording...

External Microphones for iPhone 4, iPad and iPod Touch Audio input | Life is a Prayer.com

Also, I'm not sure if Garage Band is the best app for what you're trying to do. I've read a couple of positive posts about these apps..

MultiTrack DAW for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

StudioTrack for iPad on the iTunes App Store

This company sells a mic specifically made for the iPad...

iRig Mic

I'm sure there's other apps, equipment and more options so others folks may have some additional advice.

Welcome to the forum and hope that helps!

OP
H

huber

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rich thanks for that info I will check it out. I have seen the iRig mics but the way we are set up it would be easier to have it ran through the sound system as we use cordless mics now. I will check out and see if any of these fixes it for me

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rich thanks for that info I will check it out. I have seen the iRig mics but the way we are set up it would be easier to have it ran through the sound system as we use cordless mics now. I will check out and see if any of these fixes it for me
Sounds good. I didn't go through the article in detail but I believe it shows how to connect the iPad to a sound mixer/board (I believe using an adapter) that will disable the iPad's built-in mic. If you Google it I think you'll find some other advice as well.

On a side note, you may have already seen them, but I always get a kick out of watching the videos from this one church's "iBand" which uses iPads and iPhones exclusively to create some pretty awesome music. Here's one example...

Best of luck and let us know how it goes!

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

Latest posts