What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Frozen Google maps

vesancy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Please can anyone help me?

Whenever I open the pre-installed Google maps, it reverts to a map of New York and a pin on The Friends of the High Line and iI cannot use the search button to select another address. I have to manually scroll across to Europe if I want to find a specific location for example which is a pain.

Thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
At the top of the Maps app ther is an arrow icon. You can tap it to cycle through three states.

• Gray - location is off and you can search and scroll without problems.
  • Purple - the map will aoutomatically center on your location.
  • Purple with radar - same as above, but top of tha map follows the orientation of the iPad.

The iPad remembers you last setting, even cleared from RAM.

Try changing the icon to gray, and see if the iPad behaves more like you expect it to.

Also, tap on the pin, select the i icon to show more info, then delete the pin.

Or, if you have something entered in the search field, delet it.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Read your post again. You realy should be able to use the search field in any mode, so I'm posting some commomn fixes, in case you are not aware of them.

When you have problems with an app it's a good idea to clear it from RAM.

Close/Clear the app: With the problem app closed, double tap on the Home button to get the multitask bar. Tap and hold on any icon in the bar until they jiggle, then tap the minus sign on the problem app. This will remove it from RAM and insure a clean start the next time you launch the app.

If that does not work try a restart,

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears. Apple recommends you restart the iPad at least once a month.

and then a reset if that does not work.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

OP
V

vesancy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Read your post again. You realy should be able to use the search field in any mode, so I'm posting some commomn fixes, in case you are not aware of them.

When you have problems with an app it's a good idea to clear it from RAM.

Close/Clear the app: With the problem app closed, double tap on the Home button to get the multitask bar. Tap and hold on any icon in the bar until they jiggle, then tap the minus sign on the problem app. This will remove it from RAM and insure a clean start the next time you launch the app.

If that does not work try a restart,

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears. Apple recommends you restart the iPad at least once a month.

and then a reset if that does not work.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.
Thanks a lot. Silly question but will a reboot delete anything?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot. Silly question but will a reboot delete anything?

Naw. It's the same thing as rebooting a laptop or desktop computer. Nothing happens to your apps and data. Essentially, it just clears out any stray processes and such.

Okay, I don't really know what it does. :). But, I can tell you that it's perfectly safe.

Hope this reassures.

Marilyn

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yep. Safe. Apple only recommends it when you can't restart the iPad, but I have yet to hear a single case of it causing problems.

OP
V

vesancy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No problem. Is it working now?

Well not really! Under search, it will only locate addresses in my list of contacts on my iPad. But if I call up gmail on Google search and enter Maps, the search facility works fine.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok, that is strange. Excuse me if the next questions seems silly, but I want to be sure.

Are you typing the address into the Search Bar, something like this:

555 Some St., SomeCity, ST, ZIP (or your country's equivalent)

or are you using the Book icon to search?

And does your search bar look like this?

MapSearch.jpg

Czevski

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What happens if you choose to drop a pin after you have scrolled to Europe?

OP
V

vesancy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes I am entering the address as per your example and yes, the search entry bar looks just like you have shown. However, if I enter an address in the left hand box for directions, it goes directly to that address but I suppose that this is normal.

OP
V

vesancy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What happens if you choose to drop a pin after you have scrolled to Europe?

Under the search option, for example , I scrolled to the town of Aylesbury in the UK and all attempts to drop a pin failed but it will drop a pin if I use the directions facility

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I did not even think of the Directions mode.

If you just want to find a place you choose Search instead of Directions from the buttons at the left. When you are in Directions mode it wants two addresses, so that you can get a map of From > To.

To drop a pin, you just need to tap and hold for a couple of seconds. If you tap and hold while in Directions mode it will use your current location and give you directions to the pin. If you do not specify a From direction, it should always use your current location.

I'm not sure what it would do if you have locations turned off in Settings.

OP
V

vesancy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Turning off location in Settings makes no difference. The Search facility just does not work. Whenever I enter an address, a pop up labelled Suggestions appears and if the address that I have entered is in my list of Contacts, then that is selected. Otherwise, if the Selection box is empty ie. the entered address does not correspond with an address in Contacts, nothing happens when I select Search again.
I think that I'll trundle off to my local Apple store as I have another problem in how to connect an HTMI splitter and an Apple tv box.

Thanks for taking your time trying to resolve my problem

Most reactions

Latest posts