What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Free Trial Versions in App Store

Should Apple continue to prohibit free trials in the App Store?

• Yes

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • No

Votes: 44 83.0%

• Total voters

Ascendo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Should Apple continue to prohibit Free Trial Versions in the App Store?

Apple currently prohibits developers from offering free trial versions of their apps. Do you think prohibiting free trial versions is a good idea?

Best,
Marc
(iPad Developer)

Last edited by a moderator:

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Most developers have a free version and a paying version that has a tad more functionalities. Isn't that just about the same as a free trial version? I rather go this way.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It would appear that while most, well many, well quite a few, well some developers are quite talented at developing apps, they are lacking in basic marketing skills. While it cost the developer for the privilege of being in The App Store, some of them put a rather steep price tag on their apps without offering a "lite" version. (Of course I mean steep when compared to most other apps and not compared to software packages for "real" computers.)

I have several apps that I tried in their "lite" version before buying the paid version. I look at developers like Cross Match Technologies, the folks who put out the Atomic browser. The paid version is a bank-breaking 99¢, but they also offer a "lite" version. This is genius on their part! While I am sure many people would have just shelled out the $1 to kick the tires, by letting people try it before they buy it, this virtually assures an upgrade to the paid version.

Developers, take your lessons from Richard Trautvetter, Sr Software Engineer for Cross Match Technologies. It is a great app backed up by simply elegant marketing.

Last edited:

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yeah, I've spent $10 on apps only to find out an app doesn't work the way I need it to, or not as well as a competing app. There's only so much you can get out of a few screenshots and a page of text. A fully-functioning timed trial would be better, but the free versions that are currently allowed are helpful.

OP
Ascendo

Ascendo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Most developers have a free version and a paying version that has a tad more functionalities. Isn't that just about the same as a free trial version?

Not exactly because it forces developers to decide between offering a free version with in-app advertising or limiting features.

In-app advertising isn't a great option for security related apps such as password managers, so we chose to limit users to 10 items in the free version of DataVault. However, users don't always realize that a free version is meant as "try before buy" which leads to confusion.

Offering a full-featured trial version allows a developer to provide a complete experience with which a user can make their decision.

Marc

Last edited by a moderator:

Ksane

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A good share of the paid apps are ridiculously misleading in their descriptions. Apple wouldn't make a penny off them if there was such a thing as trial versions because no one in their right mind would buy them lol Apple knows that, they're not stupid. So I'm betting the only trials they'll allow would be for the programs that are really GOOD and useful that people would buy anyway.

Arturo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
android does trials no problem

Every single application on the android allows a trial. About 1hr. Because Google controls the store app there is really little risk unless some guy is that desperate to root their android. I just got my first iPad and I'm starting to feel turned off by big brother.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ascendo said:
Apple currently prohibits developers from offering free trial versions of their apps. Do you think prohibiting free trial versions is a good idea?

Best,
Marc
Ascendo (iPad Developer)

If they continue to prohibit the use of free trials it will will result in 0 app sales IMHO!!

Sent from my Pink Hearts Sparkly Black Verizon 32GB iPhone 4 using iPF

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
tlbaker said:
If they continue to prohibit the use of free trials it will will result in 0 app sales IMHO!!

Did you watch the keynote? Did you hear how many BILLIONS of dollars the App Store is bringing in? Though you may not like it, they clearly don't need to have free trials to sell apps.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
thewitt said:
Did you watch the keynote? Did you hear how many BILLIONS of dollars the App Store is bringing in? Though you may not like it, they clearly don't need to have free trials to sell apps.

Well ... Maybe so; however, I won't be buying a bunch of apps that I don't anything about. That's just me. But it is not that serious to get into a written screaming match about it.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No one is screaming. You should make the request to Apple, but the store is clearly selling apps without this feature.... Lots of them

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I didn't hear any screaming either.

I would have thought that a free trial period would be a very good idea, why does apple not allow it. Wouldn't it cut down on refunds when people realize they have no need for an app or It doesn't do as they say. I have bought a few apps after trying the lite versions.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The developer community has been asking for both free trials and full featured apps with an expiration date. If these are features you would like to see, ask Apple...

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
Take a look at this very interesting article by the developer of Instapaper. In it, he outlines his experiences with offering a free version - or not.

Why Instapaper Free is taking an extended vacation – Marco.org

May help explain some of the free/not free reasoning out there.

Marilyn

Yes very interesting article. There's a lot to consider for developers and he made some very good comments.
A great insight into their world.

Thanks Marilyn

Most reactions