What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

free jailnreak tweak to stop secret location info thats being stored!

Ipad007

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i think the jailnreakers might want to know about this. i know yall have heard over the web and news how your ipad and iphone secretly stores location info on you into a non encrypted file on your device. like where you have been, giving time stamps, longitude, and latitude info. this can be accessed by anyone if they connect wirelessly or whatever to your device.

i read on redmondpie.com that there is a new jailbreak tweak to stop that. its a free tweak and is in the Big Boss repository. its called "Untrackered". once installed, theres no icon or settings to mess with. ot runs in the backgroumd as a daemon. it continuously cleans up that location info file where the info is secretly stored at. ;)

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
i think the jailnreakers might want to know about this. i know yall have heard over the web and news how your ipad and iphone secretly stores location info on you into a non encrypted file on your device. like where you have been, giving time stamps, longitude, and latitude info. this can be accessed by anyone if they connect wirelessly or whatever to your device.

i read on redmondpie.com that there is a new jailbreak tweak to stop that. its a free tweak and is in the Big Boss repository. its called "Untrackered". once installed, theres no icon or settings to mess with. ot runs in the backgroumd as a daemon. it continuously cleans up that location info file where the info is secretly stored at. ;)

My question is this: what other applications do the same thing or perhaps some version of this without using that super secret master file buried deep within the OS? Some apps ask if they can use my location and I always say OK.

And isn't some location tracking important? Like Mr. GPS that must know where I am because that is what it is supposed to do. Or Google Maps that can also track this and that because without doing so, the program is useless.

Can't setting up a master password per the instructions available when you open Cydia prevent this sort of access?

Apparently, for every web site or forum poster that says anyone can access (like you do) this data, another site says it is not possible for just anyone to read this file. Is that remotely possible?

Is the location info in that file accurate? I just read something about it not being very accurate; apparently, it logs cell tower locations rather than the user's actual location.

And what difference does it make either way? If the cops suspect you of something and they want the data and they were able to read the file, don't they need a warrant to do so? And if they have a warrant and find something that implicates you in some crime, isn't it good to know and necessary and you go to jail which is also good?

And so what if I can learn by accessing your iPad where you went this morning. So what, like I really care. And if I do care, what possible use is there in knowing your location last week at 5:45 AM? Unless you are sleeping with my wife, then I'll likely use your iPad to beat you silly. Well, I do not have a wife, but I fondly recall how I use to love beating people silly. Then I go to jail, where they will know where I am at all times without any need for technology.

But I digress.

Sorry, I am making light of your post and comments and apparent worries (Big Smiley) but to me, it is much ado about nothing. The same person that frets about anyone knowing their location often Tweets their location and other personal data to their followers.

Last night, Pizza Hut learned my phone number, email address, and my super secret location. And other intensely personal information like I prefer sausage, cheese, mushrooms, and anchovies; that I love the baked wings and Pepsi. I do not want the world to know that I really love anchovies, so my fear is someone will hack Pizza Hut and tell my secrets.

Bob

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Last night, Pizza Hut learned my phone number, email address, and my super secret location. And other intensely personal information like I prefer sausage, cheese, mushrooms, and anchovies; that I love the baked wings and Pepsi. I do not want the world to know that I really love anchovies, so my fear is someone will hack Pizza Hut and tell my secrets.

Bob

Well then we are in real trouble over here.

ipaduser434

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Aspasia said:
A tempest in a teapot.

The news present it differently though. The German Tagesschau had a guest speaker from a computer magazine (Chip) to speculate that Apple most likely sells this information. Usually the news show is credible, but today, they went a little far.

Speculation and sensationalism always sell better than the mundane.

Wired News came out with an interesting article a couple hours ago:

Why and How Apple Is Collecting Your iPhone Location Data | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

OP
I

Ipad007

iPF Noob
Reaction score

My question is this: what other applications do the same thing or perhaps some version of this without using that super secret master file buried deep within the OS? Some apps ask if they can use my location and I always say OK.

And isn't some location tracking important? Like Mr. GPS that must know where I am because that is what it is supposed to do. Or Google Maps that can also track this and that because without doing so, the program is useless.

Can't setting up a master password per the instructions available when you open Cydia prevent this sort of access?

Apparently, for every web site or forum poster that says anyone can access (like you do) this data, another site says it is not possible for just anyone to read this file. Is that remotely possible?

Is the location info in that file accurate? I just read something about it not being very accurate; apparently, it logs cell tower locations rather than the user's actual location.

And what difference does it make either way? If the cops suspect you of something and they want the data and they were able to read the file, don't they need a warrant to do so? And if they have a warrant and find something that implicates you in some crime, isn't it good to know and necessary and you go to jail which is also good?

And so what if I can learn by accessing your iPad where you went this morning. So what, like I really care. And if I do care, what possible use is there in knowing your location last week at 5:45 AM? Unless you are sleeping with my wife, then I'll likely use your iPad to beat you silly. Well, I do not have a wife, but I fondly recall how I use to love beating people silly. Then I go to jail, where they will know where I am at all times without any need for technology.

But I digress.

Sorry, I am making light of your post and comments and apparent worries (Big Smiley) but to me, it is much ado about nothing. The same person that frets about anyone knowing their location often Tweets their location and other personal data to their followers.

Bob

u had me laughing with your post. that was just fyi in case u dont want ur info tracked, thru ipad at least.

Most reactions