What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Format issue?

Gunnar Lind

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I need help. I am trying to open ebooks that I borrow at a
public library site (elib.se) but they won't open in iBooks. They are downloaded in ePub format and I have eventually managed to transfer them to my iPad, they show up in my library but when I try to open them I am told that they can't be opened since they are in the wrong format. However, the Winnie the Pooh book opens nicely. According to the instructions at the library site it should work fine - does anyone have a clue?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I need help. I am trying to open ebooks that I borrow at a
public library site (elib.se) but they won't open in iBooks. They are downloaded in ePub format and I have eventually managed to transfer them to my iPad, they show up in my library but when I try to open them I am told that they can't be opened since they are in the wrong format. However, the Winnie the Pooh book opens nicely. According to the instructions at the library site it should work fine - does anyone have a clue?

The problem is that you are dealing with DRM and most likely Adobe in trying to read those library books. Apple's iBook app cannot read .epub files that are not encoded in it's own DRM. There's no way to get those books into iBooks without stripping the DRM.

There is an ereader app available, Bluefire, that WILL let you download, open and read DRM'd epubs. There is a huge thread about this app over at MobileRead forum titled "Bluefire reader app." Take a look here:

Bluefire reader app - MobileRead Forums

Of course, it's not iBooks, but the app is free and I have found it to be a very nice reader...

Good luck.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts