What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For ipad 4 owners-how is overheating now

kruzzz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys
how is ipad 4 now with this overheating that was discussed for previous ipad 3
My house has one Ipad 3 with overheating problems
Will be nice if you share this with us.
Thank you

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My iPad 3 never had nor does it have "overheating problems". I guess if you take it outside in the sun, in the summer when it is 95deg in the shade, turn the screen up to full brightness, and then play a game like MC3, it will develop problems.

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't notice much heat at all with the iPad 4.........just a little warmth on the back of the display after a long time being on.
Of course, I can't say I noticed a huge deal on my iPad 3 either.

I love the iPad 4.....Apple done good.

OP
kruzzz

kruzzz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thats fine
Im curious to see if all this heat problems actually come with A5 chip inside or is just work heat

cyndy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is heat where the cord plugs into the plug thingy. But that is the same with my laptops too. Otherwise neither my iPad 3 (only had less then 30 days) or the 4 never had heating up on the iPad itself.

Last edited:

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thats fine
Im curious to see if all this heat problems actually come with A5 chip inside or is just work heat

I was at the Apple store this weekend.......they had iPad 2, iPad 4......and even some iPad 3 models they were trying to sell out of.
WoW......
iPad 2 was cool to touch
iPad 4 was just slight bit warm
iPad 3 they had there was burning hot on the backside........so much so it would be completely uncomfortable to use.
It was so hot I can't imagine it being good for the rest of the electronics inside the unit. Never noticed this with my iPad 3 when I had it but maybe I just never had it on long enough?

Kind of revealing IMHO.....

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
buerkletucson said:
I was at the Apple store this weekend.......they had iPad 2, iPad 4......and even some iPad 3 models they were trying to sell out of.
WoW......
iPad 2 was cool to touch
iPad 3 they had there was burning hot on the backside........so much so it would be completely uncomfortable to use.
It was so hot I can't imagine it being good for the rest of the electronics inside the unit. Never noticed this with my iPad 3 when I had it but maybe I just never had it on long enough?

I wonder if they have the display brightness set at 100%, with it on all day long and at a setting like that I can imagine it heating up like an oven over time.

The Archangel

OP
kruzzz

kruzzz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
WoW......
iPad 2 was cool to touch

Looks like is different experience for each of ipad 3 users though.
Thanks anyway

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I wonder if they have the display brightness set at 100%, with it on all day long and at a setting like that I can imagine it heating up like an oven over time.

The Archangel

I tested mine with screen on at 100%. It got to 116 def F after 30 minute. That is warm, not hot. It was not uncomfortable to hold unless you are just hear sensitive or something. But if one turns the screen on max brightness, it will get warm.

waah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad 3 never had nor does it have "overheating problems". I guess if you take it outside in the sun, in the summer when it is 95deg in the shade, turn the screen up to full brightness, and then play a game like MC3, it will develop problems.

Wow! Thats brutal!

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score

The Archangel
I dunno....

I never specifically checked the brightness settings on all 3 iPads I checked, but they all looked to be the same brightness and not excessive.
100% brightness is blinding so I don't think that's the case.

The difference in heat on the iPad 3 was astonishing...........crack some eggs on the back of the case and you'll be ready for breakfast in a few minutes. :D
Can't be good for the internals.

The iPad 4 was way cooler on the back.......not much warmer than the iPad 2.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Frankly it is not an issue I own an ipad3 and ipad 2 and it is on 7/24. Sometimes brightness is up higher and comparing it with our iPad 2 it is seems fine. Some users turn up the brightness full and play heavy games then maybe it will feel warmer but nothing to be concerned with. I can assure you if it was an issue my lovely partner would let me know as that is one thing she hates about laptops.

Devynquinn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
kruzzz said:
Hi guys
how is ipad 4 now with this overheating that was discussed for previous ipad 3
My house has one Ipad 3 with overheating problems
Will be nice if you share this with us.
Thank you

My iPad 4 doesn't overheat at all.

Most reactions