What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trent McNair

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.myfirstorganics.com
I am considering a purchase of a new iPad 2, but one of the reasons I have forgone the purchase of an iPad was that it had no Flash support.

How is the browsing experience with no Flash support? And, why would I want to invest in an iPad 2 if I can only experience a percentage of the internet?

Catfiend

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Trent McNair said:
I am considering a purchase of a new iPad 2, but one of the reasons I have forgone the purchase of an iPad was that it had no Flash support.

How is the browsing experience with no Flash support? And, why would I want to invest in an iPad 2 if I can only experience a percentage of the internet?

For me the browsing is great. I don't notice the lack of Flash. Others seem to miss it. Feel free to install a Flash blocker on your normal computer and test it out for yourself rather than relying on someone else's experiences, though. That's what I did a year ago and I still have the Flash blocker installed.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Flash. Well ~ at least you are doing some research before you buy. I have had my iPad for almost a year and I go to lots of sites. Not once have I been not able to, actually ~ that is not true. Once, it told me "this device doesn't support Flash" I forget what site it was.

You must remember the ipad is not a computer. Ask yourself what you plan on doing with it ~ why you want an iPad.

And research Flash here and read and read.

Others will chime in to help ~ just remember that flash is a sensitive topic here....

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh please. Someone hide this thread quickly :D

Searching for 'Flash' on this forum will lead you to the results you want and prevent this topic from trailing off into a flame war. Flash is the most hotly debated topic.

Having said this: Which you two beat me to it ~

We are all going to be very respectful and helpful to Mr. Trent McNair, simply because he has not bought his iPad yet and needs guidance. This is a good thing:)

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Flash is useless

Not happy?

lolplaybook is that way

thank_you_come_again_det.jpg

Tired of these questions

Then don't open the thread. Okay? Be careful.

OP
Trent McNair

Trent McNair

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.myfirstorganics.com
Searching for 'Flash' on this forum will lead you to the results you want and prevent this topic from trailing off into a flame war. Flash is the most hotly debated topic.

I did that initially - probably should have done the search by post title instead of the 'flash' flood of results I got by doing a thread search. Got tired of sifting through them quickly, so here I am with this topic. Foot, mouth, the whole shebang.

Reaction score
A flash work-around:
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-apps...pad-doesnt-have-flash-heres-way-feel-joy.html
General discussion on flash:
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-gene...jobs-flash-explanation-doesnt-make-sense.html
Another discussion on flash:
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/23613-adobe-flash.html

Whether you need flash, depends on the sites you frequent. Personally, have I only come across two websites which wouldn't work, due to flash, but I can't mention them here.

Flash can be easily replaced by HTML5, if it is just used as a container file for videos. If that is what you usually browse, then browsing will work fine on the iPad. What will not work, are flash based interactive websites, as those are more difficult to convert to html5.

Last edited:

ipaduser434

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've often wondered by the brilliant programmers here haven't created some sort of nifty little program that will recognize the "F" word in a subject line (or message) and automatically reroute the thread to the many existing threads on the same topic. Redundancy avoidance.

Reaction score
Not really a scientific proof, but the iPhone got first released 4 years ago and it had no flash. The fact that Apple has made no attempt to get flash on their iOS devices should tell something: it isn't necessary.

More then 160million iOS devices have been sold so far and all without flash.

OP
Trent McNair

Trent McNair

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.myfirstorganics.com
I've often wondered by the brilliant programmers here haven't created some sort of nifty little program that will recognize the "F" word in a subject line (or message) and automatically reroute the thread to the many existing threads on the same topic. Redundancy avoidance.

Well Aspasia, my apologies. I did read through a thread and I will be looking at others.

The mere fact that this isn't the first thread on the subject may leave you peeved, but it should also tell you that perhaps the gripe has some merit.

If I were allergic to peanuts, I wouldn't eat peanuts. I'd always make sure that anyone preparing my food would also never add a peanut. But what would you have me do if almost every type of food had peanuts in it? Tell me to quit eating? Tell me to survive on water?

Flash is just a peanut. Never have I had a problem with it. I see it everywhere I go on the net. Depriving me of something I don't seem to have an allergy to seems silly. Beating me about the face and head with an iPad won't change that.

Still on the fence...I'll keep reading. :D

wahoowad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No flash is a pain in the ass, Trent. Two of my favorite things use flash. (1) CBS Gametracker tool that shows status of college games I follow. (2) The listen over the Internet ability for my local AM radio station. Yes, there is a workaround for each (iSwifter browser that supports flash) but it sucks.

TC93

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only thing I want flash for is videos. Anything else with flash just bogs your computer down, and in tablets it will drain the battery. I really hate flash advertisements.

YouTube videos play great on the iPad, and any website that uses html5. As for other sites that aren't compatible, I like to use the splashtop iPad app to log into my Windows 7 pc and view that website remotely... It works great.

Catfiend

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Trent McNair said:
If I were allergic to peanuts, I wouldn't eat peanuts. I'd always make sure that anyone preparing my food would also never add a peanut. But what would you have me do if almost every type of food had peanuts in it? Tell me to quit eating? Tell me to survive on water?

Flash is just a peanut. Never have I had a problem with it. I see it everywhere I go on the net. Depriving me of something I don't seem to have an allergy to seems silly. Beating me about the face and head with an iPad won't change that.

In more than a year living without Flash I haven't found it to be so prevalent that it would constitute "...almost every type of food...." In fact, the vast, vast majority of the places I see that little Flash placeholder on my PC are advertisements. I do see it elsewhere, but not very frequently.

As for the rest of your analogy, if I ran a restaurant that included peanuts as part of the cuisine I'd simply post something at the door telling everyone with peanut allergies to go elsewhere. That's what Jobs has done by publicizing that iOS devices don't support Flash. No one needs to be surprised by not having it so they can make up their own minds about whether or not it's particularly important by doing their research. Testing a browser with Flash blocked for your daily browsing is probably the single best way to determine whether it's an issue for you, though it's not foolproof since some sites apparently recognize iOS devices and supply their content in different ways so the Flash blocker is likely to show a slightly worse case than the iPad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts