What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First time Apple product owner, new to ios. Please help me on this:

Reaction score
Hi iPad owners,
I just bought an ipad and this is the first time i am using an apple product, I am obviously confused as a new owner. Please let me know your views on below mentioned caveats that i am coming across as a first time user. All answers truly appreciated.

1) Its an ipad 2 on "ios 5.1" , i have a pending update of ios 5.1.1---> Should i update it. Will i be able to jailbreak after updating my ipad2 to ios 5.1.1 and How ?

2) I heard something about ShSh blobs, what is with it that i have to do after the above is completed so i can avoid any mishap in future in restoring my ipad.

Thanks alot.

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mohiuddin_baig2005 said:
Hi iPad owners,
I just bought an ipad and this is the first time i am using an apple product, I am obviously confused as a new owner. Please let me know your views on below mentioned caveats that i am coming across as a first time user. All answers truly appreciated.

1) Its an ipad 2 on "ios 5.1" , i have a pending update of ios 5.1.1---> Should i update it. Will i be able to jailbreak after updating my ipad2 to ios 5.1.1 and How ?

2) I heard something about ShSh blobs, what is with it that i have to do after the above is completed so i can avoid any mishap in future in restoring my ipad.

Thanks alot.

Someone will be along to assist. In the interim there is a jailbreak forum here that may provide you help.

I did read the jailbreak for 5.1.1 is out there and seems to be working for those who choose to use it.

TheRambler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
theramblersramblings.blogspot.co.uk
Last edited:
OP
M
Reaction score
I just want to ask, when i try to save blobs using tiny umbrella using a windows based pc i cannot check the option "set host to cydia on exit". It's greyed out.

OP
M
Reaction score
Guys,
I successfully jailbroke my ipad with absinthe but i am unable to save shsh using tinyumbrella. On my cydia app i can see the shsh: iOS 5.1.1 is written on top but when i try using tiny umbrella to save it either from cydia or apple i get this error, please see the image that i am attaching with this. shs.jpg

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That picture is from the Tiny Umbrella (TU) log. In it, TU is telling you what blobs are/are not saveable by that program. As of today, the only firmware for which you can save blobs is iOS 5.1.1. All the others have been "turned off" by Apple, which is why you see the notices from TU saying that it didn't save those blobs.

With TU open, click on that General tab. It should show you what blobs were saved for your iPad. The only one that should show is for iOS 5.1.1, which is to be expected. If that blob shows in that General tab, you are good to go and need do no more - all the blobs you can save have been saved.

And yes, Cydia does automatically save all available blobs for your device the first time opyou go there. However, I am a paranoid, nervous Nellie. So, I run TU, just so I can have a spare copy of all my SHSH blobs. YMMV.

If you have 5.1.1 showing in the General tab, yay. Else, holler back and we'll see what might be the problem (cause they SHOULD be there).

Marilyn

P.S. And since we are talking about jail breaks and such, I've taken the liberty and moved your post over to the Hacking section. Thanks for your understanding.

OP
M
Reaction score
Mickey330 ! Sir You are absolutely correct ! Thanks so much... Indeed the details on the general tab has just one single shsh file with ios 5.1.1. Will it be of any problem if later on i try to restore using this shsh file ? I am sorry if i am asking stupid questions but i am just 7 hours new to iOS and apple products.
Thanks.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mickey330 ! Sir You are absolutely correct ! Thanks so much... Indeed the details on the general tab has just one single shsh file with ios 5.1.1. Will it be of any problem if later on i try to restore using this shsh file ? I am sorry if i am asking stupid questions but i am just 7 hours new to iOS and apple products.
Thanks.

As it stands right now, there are no ways to use these 5.1.1 blobs to restore the iPad when - and ONLY when - Apple closed the signing window. The tools to use these iOS 5.1.1 SHSH blobs have not been developed ... yet. The good news is that we don't have to worry about it at this moment, given that Apple is still signing iOS 5.1.1. If it becomes necessary to use them (if you want to restore to 5.1.1, yet Apple has closed the window), I'm pretty sure the development community will continue to amaze us and figure out a way.

but can any of you tell me why the option : "set host to cydia on exit" greyed out ?

The shortest answer I can give you is "because that's the way Tiny Umbrella is designed." It's the default configuration as designed by the developer. I had read a reason why the developer has it default to this, but when I went on a Google search, I couldn't find the reason. So, sorry, but I can't answer that question other than by saying that's the way it is. :)

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts