What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First impression, well....underwhelmed

pixelpeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK I will likely get some flak here, but first of all i am long time Apple user and fan. Just backed up the New iPad from the iPad2 via iTunes. Not all my apps made it over, will sync it again. The Retina display is pretty awesome with text, but I had to look very closely inded side by side with my iPad2 and not a big difference at all viewing photos shot with my Nikon D300. The big disappointment is the new iPad has horrible white balance, everything has a muddy green hue to it. the iPad2 is brilliant. I hope I can adjust in settings somewhere. Anyway I thought from all the hype the Retina display would be noticeably improved for photo viewing....not much it seems. If I cannot fix the white balance it will be going back for good.

spiralspines

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I never got that when I viewed pictures shot with my Canon T3. Maybe you have a defective unit.

L

Lunar

I'm a keen phographer too, no expert mind but mererly a hobbyist, currently using a Cannon 60D DSLR. Luckiliy I can't say I've seen any white balance issues with my new iPad3 at least none that I've noticed yet, viewing an all white image looks quite good to me with no hint of any hue, for once I may have been lucky with this one. I can only suggest you return it for exchange especially if it's really noticable, and hope the next one is better. :)

KenJr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can't figure out how to start new thread on this forum so I'll put a first impression statement here: Switched from an iPad 1 .. I very much like the ipad 3 .. G4 is very fast .. I'm able to plug into my 27" monitor .. The display looks great .. I love the dictation feature - But - When I use my Apple Bluetooth keyboard the ipad keyboard doesn't come up. The dictation microphone is on the iPad keyboard. Any other way to access the microphone feature?

tbns

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Defective unit? The display on my new iPad is unquestionably better in every aspect from the iPad 2. Definitely no green hue to it. I'd probably see if I can exchange it for another one.

OP
P

pixelpeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, been playing around, my unit came with the Brightness turned way down. Now turned up the photos are appreciably better resolution, pretty nice :) The muddines I stated earlier is gone too, however the white balance is still NOT optimal. Not horrible either, and I would say in comparison my iPad2 is a little toward the red spectrum, but more neutral than the new iPad which is just over into the green. Foliage looks better but looking at the whites they are not quite neutral, and I cannot find any way to change the settings. Will call Apple Support and see what they have to say.

Go over to ZDnet and they have a review, they say it is "warmer", which I disagree with, but they have a side by side shot that shows what I mean. Makes me think it is not a defective unit issue, unless they had a batch.

look down the page at the side by side shot : New iPad not a must-have, but an amazing display | ZDNet

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Can't figure out how to start new thread on this forum so I'll put a first impression statement here: Switched from an iPad 1 .. I very much like the ipad 3 .. G4 is very fast .. I'm able to plug into my 27" monitor .. The display looks great .. I love the dictation feature - But - When I use my Apple Bluetooth keyboard the ipad keyboard doesn't come up. The dictation microphone is on the iPad keyboard. Any other way to access the microphone feature?

Hi ken-this is how you create a thread.

http://www.ipadforums.net/new-membe...-creating-posts-starting-new-threads-how.html

I will keep your post in position here-but you can refer to this for future threads. Hope that helped.

Daylife

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looking at the iPad 2 and then the iPad 3 is like making the transition from SDTVs to HDTVs lol .... The difference is HUGE.

Biddy44

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The 3 has a REALLY nice screen, but the 2 was good enough that the improvement doesn't provide an overwhelming reason to upgrade. I was expecting an obvious improvement with anything displayed, but I found pictures and movies to be marginally better. The most noticeable improvement I've seen is with font clarity, which even when zoomed in is exquisitely clear, with no visible individual pixels.

The best improvement I've seen is with the camera, which has gone from barely mediocre to quite good.

guthrien

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree, it's a way more subtle upgrade than I expected. It's after reading for some time that it "hits" me. I think it's the best e-reader screen ever created and that includes browsing. After a while it becomes hard for me to drag my eyes away from the crisp screen but it's not something that jumped out at me from the box. I wouldn't push my iPad 2 loving friends to rush to upgrade unless they were heavy readers or gadget freaks like myself.

The Verizon LTE is blazing fast, the camera is a very noticeable upgrade and the dictation feature is nice but none of those sold me by themselves. Speed wise it feels about the same, fast. I'm sure the extra ram is helping multitasking.

It's really for reading that it's a must upgrade to me. There is little to no eye strain for long sessions in an article or book.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Daylife

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Biddy44 said:
The 3 has a REALLY nice screen, but the 2 was good enough that the improvement doesn't provide an overwhelming reason to upgrade. I was expecting an obvious improvement with anything displayed, but I found pictures and movies to be marginally better. The most noticeable improvement I've seen is with font clarity, which even when zoomed in is exquisitely clear, with no visible individual pixels.

The best improvement I've seen is with the camera, which has gone from barely mediocre to quite good.

What other Improvements would you want? Lol apple upgraded everything........CPU, screen, camera, kept the battery the same, LTE....Price.... What else would you want?

The reason why movies and pictures look the same is because the resolution on the photos and movies has not changed.

Last edited:

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
He's only got a few posts - doesn't the forum prevent newer users from starting threads until they've reached a certain number?

New members can begin posting new threads right away. You are thinking of the the 4 post minimum before they can include an appropriate link that supports a thread and adheres to forum rules.

Last edited:

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The greenish tint may be an issue with the glue for the screen. For several years, it has been a panic/gripe point. The glue needs time to fully cure, but not all cure at the same rate. Sometimes when they are in high production mode, there are reports of a yellowish tint. But shortly after, the tint goes away.

Everyone's perception is different. I was comparing my iPad original with my new iPad and told my wife to se how thinner and lighter it was. She could not tell the difference. Sheesh.

Most reactions

Latest posts