What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finally Good File Management with GoodReaderUSB

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Where Apple and iTunes fail, leave it to developers to shine!

goodiware.com :: products :: GoodReader :: Manual :: USB

I'm really happy about this.

USB File Transfer is the fastest and the easiest way to put files to GoodReader from your computer. Unlike with WiFi File Transfer, there's no need to go through a complicated WiFi setup process, and a frustration of WiFi network troubleshooting. While you can use Apple's way of transferring files via iTunes program (see directions below), we strongly encourage you to use a much more advanced USB file transfer using our own free computer program called GoodReaderUSB, which will give you a significant advantage: Advanced USB file transfer using GoodReaderUSB computer program
  • transfer files and folders
  • browse deeply into GoodReader's subfolder structure directly from your computer
  • no need to have iPad and/or iOS 4. This method works with all eligible devices - iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, with all OS versions starting from 3.0, and with all available versions of GoodReader app - GoodReader for iPad, GoodReader for iPhone, GoodReader Lite for iPhone.
show details...
hide details
Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP (iTunes must be installed on your computer)
Download the program here: GoodReaderUSB for Windows
Mac OS X 10.4 / 10.5 / 10.6 (Tiger, Leopard, Snow Leopard)
Download the program here: GoodReaderUSB for Mac
(GoodReaderUSB is a product of our joint development project with awesome Macroplant company, check out their other applications, they're cool - http://www.macroplant.com)
After downloading:

• unzip downloaded package
  • run GoodReaderUSB program
    grusbWinScreenshot.jpg

grusbMacScreenshot.jpg
  • connect your iPad / iPhone / iPod touch to your computer via USB cable
  • select a device to work with (if you have connected several of them), select a version of GoodReader to work with (if you have several different versions installed on the same device)
  • drag your files and folders with a mouse to GoodReaderUSB program window (drop them to the rightmost section of the window)
  • you can drop bunches of files and folders, there's no need to drop them one by one
  • you can also drag files and folders in the opposite direction - from GoodReader to computer
  • wait for file transfer to finish
  • exit GoodReaderUSB
  • disconnect USB cable
  • start GoodReader app on your iPad / iPhone / iPod touch
  • enjoy your files

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for posting the link.
Tuaw had written about this but got the link muddled.

OP
NumbLock

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Heads Up!
There is no reference to this any more on the website, the download links in my original text work.

Better get your copy of GoodReaderUSB before Apple pulls it... I'm worried that Apple has disallowed this wonderful PC/Mac software.

Last edited:

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apparently its too late. The only good.iware apps available are the GoodReader (lite and paid) and the calculator (lite and paid).

I do have the iPhone Explorer app (which has also been pulled), but since I never got a chance to get up close and personal with GoodReaderUSB, what is the difference between the two?

OP
NumbLock

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The app GoodReader is still there, and the desktop app is available for download using the original links, but all references have been removed on the goodi.ware website.

I can't honestly say what the difference is, but GoodReaderUSB bypasses the need to use the crappy iTunes interface to get access to (read and write, including subdirectories) the GoodReader app space using the normall USB cable connection.

I only need to access GoodReader's sandbox. What does iPhone Explorer do? Do you have to be jail broken?

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First of all, I was wrong! It happens once in a while, but I try not to make a habit out of it! iPhone Explorer still exists. It is not an app, but a PC program that gives you access to your file structure.

iPhone Explorer - A USB iPhone browser for Mac and PC

I learned about iPhone Explorer from Stanza and it works on an "unmodified" iPad. They recommend it as one of the ways to get content from your computer on to your iDevice. However, with the latest version of Stanza, you can drag your content right into the Stanza app on iTunes without having to go through all this... but you can if you still want to.

OP
NumbLock

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No worries. I got a reply from their technical support and they said it is still available same link in my OP. They didn't mention anything about it being pulled.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
left_arrow.png

Moron Alert!!!

For some reason, I was thinking there was a separate program called GoodReaderUSB. No wonder I couldn't find it! For some reason, I never scrolled that far down on the Apps tab to see that option for the GoodReader program that I have had all along. It seems I can also drop stuff into Stanza and CineXPlayer the same way. Man I love this forum!

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm a little confused by this old thread.

I think it means this:

There once was a free program for PCs and macs called GoodReaderUSB. It allowed you to easily transfer files from the computer it was installed on to a connected iPhone or iPad. It meant that you didn't have to go through iTunes, as long as you also had the GoodReader app installed on your idevice.

A few months ago the company who made it (Goodiware) took it off their website for some reason. However, I've just discovered that you can still get it if you look for it.

It looks like an extremely useful program to me. Does anybody here think it would be a bad idea for me to download, install and use it?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is the program I was just talking about over in the Zoom-it thread.

I have it and have used it. It's an executable file (.exe), not installable. And very handy.

Marilyn

pluto6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm a little confused by this old thread.

I think it means this:

There once was a free program for PCs and macs called GoodReaderUSB. It allowed you to easily transfer files from the computer it was installed on to a connected iPhone or iPad. It meant that you didn't have to go through iTunes, as long as you also had the GoodReader app installed on your idevice.

A few months ago the company who made it (Goodiware) took it off their website for some reason. However, I've just discovered that you can still get it if you look for it.

It looks like an extremely useful program to me. Does anybody here think it would be a bad idea for me to download, install and use it?

The links are not very clear, but they are actually in the original posting... just sort of buried in there, but there are links for both the windows, and Mac version of this software... I d/l both so I can vouch the links are still working. No need to google it...

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This is the program I was just talking about over in the Zoom-it thread.

I have it and have used it. *It's an executable file (.exe), not installable. *And very handy.

Marilyn

Yeah, I know. I just got the feeling that the program had somehow lost its legitimacy for some reason (eg, I couldn't find anything about it on GoodReader's current site) and that you were using a kosher old version of it and... and... Hmm, I'm a bit sick atm and probably not making much sense.

The links are not very clear, but they are actually in the original posting... just sort of buried in there, but there are links for both the windows, and Mac version of this software... I d/l both so I can vouch the links are still working. No need to google it...

Great, thanks for that Pluto. So you got those programs from Goodireader's "ghost page"? I hope they work just as well as Marilyn's old ones do. I guess they'll probably just be the same files. I don't know why I'm being so paranoid about it all. Probably because it still seems too good to be true. GoodReaderUSB is the discovery of the week for me!

Most reactions

Latest posts