What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finally Bit the Bullet - Ordered an iPad Pro!

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, after pondering for a year over replacing my 2014 iPad Air 2, I finally made a decision (spurred in the butt by my IT son!) to purchase a 'new' iPad, i.e. the 2018 iPad Pro 11" w/ 256 GB storage - stuck w/ just Wi-Fi which has served me well for 2 previous iPads - added AppleCare + a less expensive 'smart cover' from Amazon - due to arrive early next week - did not want the pencil nor a keyboard, based on my 'retired' uses w/ my other pads.

Now I've setup two iPads in the past using either wireless iCloud or cabled iTunes backups, but there appears to be a newer option, i.e. 'Automatic Setup' describe HERE which transfers basic info from the older iPad, then directs to a restore from a previous backup - this will likely be my way to go - BUT others reading this thread might be questioning their best option(s). Another choice for me is using the iMac app iMazing which can make iPad backups to your Mac computers (also a Windows version) and then do a restore - I'll check into that possibility - but comments would be appreciated.

Finally, there is a LONG 'iPad Pro Accessories Thread' that seems to have stopped posting earlier this year before release of the 2018 models w/ the USB-C port - so, just curious for those that have purchased these newer iPad Pros, what do you think of using this new port and what has it added to these iDevices? Thanks for any comments - again, this post is meant to not only assist me but also help others. Dave :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Congrats on your new iPad Pro, when it arrives.

The automatic setup is good when it works. My iPhone XS Max set up quickly using it at the Verizon store. The only difference between it and a regulay iCloud backup restore is the local discovery. It looks for a nearby iOS device, and offeres to set it up with all your current settings and passwords.

It did not work for my iPad Pro, probably because I was having wi-fi issues.

So far I’ve only used the Pencil 2 and smart keyboard with my new iPad. I don’t have any other devices or cameras to try. I am looking for a a good USB-C/USB-A Flash Drive and accompanying app. I had Lighting/USB-A for the old iPad. They come in handy for those times you have to get files from computers, laptops, etc. and don’t have a way to do it over the internet or wi-fi. It doesn’t happen often, but it’s really frustrating when it does, and you don't’ have a solution.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi TP - that was my understanding of 'Automatic Setup', i.e. just a start that carries over basic network & PW information, then going on to a 'stored' backup - of course, iMazing would be the other BU restoration option which I have never tried to date.

Thanks for the other comments - looking forward to exploring the USB-C port options and their future development - Dave :)

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Congratulations!

The “Automatic Setup” is not a start. Everything is transferred to the new device, not just network and passwords.

I’ve set up my XS Max at home, it worked without problems. When setting up your new device, you get the option to restore from an iCloud backup. That’s what I did, so everything from that backup was transferred to my new iPhone. It just took some time to complete.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Congratulations!

The “Automatic Setup” is not a start. Everything is transferred to the new device, not just network and passwords.

I’ve set up my XS Max at home, it worked without problems. When setting up your new device, you get the option to restore from an iCloud backup. That’s what I did, so everything from that backup was transferred to my new iPhone. It just took some time to complete.

Thanks Johanna - sounds good to me and looking forward to a new iPad - Dave :)

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Auto worked for me too—used it with XS Max also. I used an Icloud backup from that morning—but I had cleaned up my prior Ipad Pro deleting apps, unneeded data, etc. Still a lot of apps, data and photos (primarily uploads via a CC dongle—I did buy a new USBc SD reader).

Diane

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
New iPad Pro arrived today - did 3 backups of the old iPad Air 2 (iCloud, iTunes, & iMazing) - as already recommended, I used the 'Automatic Detection' w/ the two pads adjacent to each other and selected the iCloud backup for restoration - took a while to restore my many apps but all returned - needed to sync a movie database to get my collection back on the iPad Pro, and will need to do a cabled connection to my MBPro to get a large photo collection into another app, so pleased w/ the process.

As to the latter issue above, for those w/ the new Pros and the USB-C port and cable - what have been some of your solutions to cabling to a computer? I've seen a bunch of hubs, adapters, and cables, so what has been favored - my two laptops have USB, Thunderbolt, and HDMI ports but the Thunderbolt connections are older versions and will require an adapter. Thanks for any suggestions - just don't want to buy a lot off Amazon if I only need a couple. Dave :)

ADDENDUM: Other reasons for cabling are to use iMazing for backups and also Coconut Battery to assess 'Battery Health'.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for the update.

I can’t help with the cable. I haven’t used a laptop or desktop computer for a long time, so I’ve never needed a cable. Well, I do have a Windows laptop that I use for amateur radio, but a combination of iCloud Drive and OneDrive are all I’ve needed to transfer files between them. I don’t use it for backups, or to hold mass quantities of data.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for the update.

I can’t help with the cable. I haven’t used a laptop or desktop computer for a long time, so I’ve never needed a cable. Well, I do have a Windows laptop that I use for amateur radio, but a combination of iCloud Drive and OneDrive are all I’ve needed to transfer files between them. I don’t use it for backups, or to hold mass quantities of data.

Hi TP - thanks for the comments - I'm still wedded to having a laptop so cabling remains an interest - just ordered several USB-C to USB cables and an extra charger from Amazon - will test on arrival - would like to obtain a USB-C (also called Thunderbolt 3) to a Thunderbolt 1/2 connection which likely would provide a faster exchange, not sure - will explore some more - probably don't need much else. Dave :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You probably know this, but while USB-C and Thunderbolt connectors are the same, the standard is not. Thunderbolt is the more advanced/capable/expensive standard. It is backwards compatible with USB-C, so USB-C devices will work with it. The opposite is not true. Tunderbolt devices will not work on USB-C.

The cables/adaptors should also be backwards compatible. They are probably also more expensive. They will not provide superior performance to a USB-C connection.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You probably know this, but while USB-C and Thunderbolt connectors are the same, the standard is not. Thunderbolt is the more advanced/capable/expensive standard. It is backwards compatible with USB-C, so USB-C devices will work with it. The opposite is not true. Tunderbolt devices will not work on USB-C.

The cables/adaptors should also be backwards compatible. They are probably also more expensive. They will not provide superior performance to a USB-C connection.

Agree - I spent an hour yesterday on Amazon looking at adapter cables - decided to purchase the two below, i.e. USB-C -> USB - both listed iPad Pro 2018 compatibility so hopefully I can exchange data cabled w/ iTunes and iMazing - want mainly to do iTunes & iMazing backups and also planning to load a lot of music onto the new pad, so not to have to take my old iPod Touch on the road for music.

As to the Thunderbolt 3 (i.e. USB-C) to TB 1 or 2 (which are in my laptops), there seem to be much fewer choices at the moment and as you indicated, the price was much more - also, I had been reading specs for these different TB versions and care in selection seems crucial; as to Apple's suggestions, the second one quoted below seems to fit my situation (Source) - my order is due this Saturday, so will see then? Dave :)

Connect iPad Pro to your Mac or other computer
You can connect iPad Pro to your Mac or PC to charge the device or sync content using iTunes.

First, identify the ports on your computer. If your computer is a more recent model that has a Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C)
thunderbolt-icon.png
or USB-C
usb-icon.png
port, connect to it with the USB-C to USB-C cable that came with iPad Pro.

If your computer has only USB-A
usb-icon.png
ports, you can connect iPad Pro using a cable such as the Belkin USB-A to USB-C Cable (USB 3.1). The correct cable has connectors that look like this:

thunderbolt-3-usb-c-port-icon.png
macbook-pro-usb-a-port-icon.png
Screen Shot 2018-12-25 at 4.51.55 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-12-25 at 4.52.25 PM.png

Last edited:

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I’ve been considering a hub for the Ipad Pro—there are a number out there with different ports. I have a late 2015 Macbook Pro 15” which I use less and less (actually probably 90-95% Pro 12.9 with and without keyboard plus Pencil) but wonder what ones I actually would use—already bought the USBc SD card dongle and a lot of what I want to share with the Mac is done through Cloud or Airdrop. For business purposes I sometimes use Ipad as second screen rather than split screen on either.

I’ve decided I will wait to see if any mfg does an app to use a USBc drive with the Ipad—and then reconsider. I have both USB and Thunderbolt drives with files going back to 1999 (photos) but would transfer to any I could open on Ipad, (but transferring with files that old and multiple drives is a fact of life anyhow). Presently I use a WD wifi drive for traveling but still have to use USB to transfer to externals via Mac. Think the 2015 Macbook was last before USBc so that doesn’t come into play for me LOL

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I’ve been considering a hub for the Ipad Pro—there are a number out there with different ports. I have a late 2015 Macbook Pro 15” which I use less and less (actually probably 90-95% Pro 12.9 with and without keyboard plus Pencil) but wonder what ones I actually would use—already bought the USBc SD card dongle and a lot of what I want to share with the Mac is done through Cloud or Airdrop. For business purposes I sometimes use Ipad as second screen rather than split screen on either....................

Hi Diane - thanks for your comments about potential USB-C 'attachments' - while searching Amazon for various cables and an extra charger, I saw a LOT of USB-C hubs, many likely developed for the newer Macs w/ that connection port; of course, could be used on the newer iPad Pros - I don't really have the need for a multi-port hub handling different types of inputs - my digital camera is Wi-Fi capable so could transfer photos to a pad wirelessly (which I've done in the past); but usually like to just pull the SD card and plug into my MBAir (which I take on the road) - my main need is to cable the new Pro to my laptops and iMac to transfer some photos and a ton of music (old iPod will no longer be my music device when traveling) - those cables are 'in the mail' so will test in the next few days. Dave :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Got a Amazon gift card for Christmas, so I ordered this. Should arrive sometime today. I’m hoping it will work with the Lighting/USB-A SanDisk USB drive I already have. Not the best solution, but it will have to do intill there is a USB-C Drive with iOS app available. I’ll let you all know how it works.

There are a ton of these on Amazon. I picked one that was asthetically pleasing, had good reviews, and was about the same price as the gift card.

B2A2ED55-3AC3-4BC9-9853-9DDC001F8A94.jpeg

Most reactions

Latest posts