What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Filling in forms?

keatingschick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
My husband has just got an iPad and I admit that although I'm the more technical of the 2 of us, I'm pretty clueless.
Thing is I'm in the process of looking for a new job and have been sending for application forms, but the forms are sent via email and need filling in online. The problem is what to get to open them/fill them in. The latest one was sent as a word doc. I was able to open it but can't fill it in or save it or anything. So my question is, what can I get to be able to open e docs, fill in the application forms and save them/email them back?
Thanks in advance.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Pages will do what you want. It is file compatible with MS Word and will allow you to email the completed form in either Word or PDF format. $10 from the app store.

Sent from my iPad 4 HD mini

OP
K

keatingschick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
Pages will do what you want. It is file compatible with MS Word and will allow you to email the completed form in either Word or PDF format. $10 from the app store.

Sent from my iPad 4 HD mini

Thank you. I'm just downloading that. Fingers crossed it works because I've been so upset and frustrated this week trying to sort out these application forms and finding I can't open them or complete them.

OP
K

keatingschick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just paid £6.99 - it won't do what I need. Maybe it's just me, but I'm not "getting" the iPad. I can't do half the things I can do on my laptop, which needs repairing but when my hubby said he was getting an iPad I thought it was no point, I've not found anything I can do on it that I can't already do on my android phone, and I'm just not blown away by it. Which is such a shame cos think my hubby is impressed cos he isn't very technical.

OP
K

keatingschick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ive actually fiddled with this and it appears I CAN use it. It does pop up saying it doesn't support all aspects and replaces some things -changes font etc. so I'll have to see how it goes. Plus, when I read the reviews it doesn't have a good review and one of the comments says if it's too long it won't work, so fingers crossed I don't type it all up and find it cuts the end off.
Thanks.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Stick with it. It is surprising how much Pages has built in. Never had a problem with docs being truncated. Let us know if that happens to you?

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
keatingschick said:
Hi,
My husband has just got an iPad and I admit that although I'm the more technical of the 2 of us, I'm pretty clueless.
Thing is I'm in the process of looking for a new job and have been sending for application forms, but the forms are sent via email and need filling in online. The problem is what to get to open them/fill them in. The latest one was sent as a word doc. I was able to open it but can't fill it in or save it or anything. So my question is, what can I get to be able to open e docs, fill in the application forms and save them/email them back?
Thanks in advance.

Hi there-have you also looked at app such as I annotate and goodreader? Also have a look at adobe reader? These allow for you to fill in and/annotate PDFs as well.

OP
K

keatingschick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I started to do it and thought it was ok until I got to the tricky boxy bit, and there was no way I could do it. I contacted a friend had asked if it was just me being dumb or was it not possible, she said no not possible at all with the iPad and she is as disillusioned as I am. I've actually emailed the forms to her and she reckons its their formatting and not me being dumb, but she still maintains it can't be done on the iPad. Basically they are job application forms, one has been sent as a zipped doc my iPad told me it cannot open this at all, the other was sent as a word doc, the PAGES opened it, and allowed me to fill in to a certain degree but cannot tick the boxes required.

OP
K

keatingschick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
skimonkey said:
Hi there-have you also looked at app such as I annotate and goodreader? Also have a look at adobe reader? These allow for you to fill in and/annotate PDFs as well.

The thing is skip monkey, I'm not very technical and so not sure what I am downloading. It's not that I mind paying for an app IF it will do what I need, but I paid £6.99 the the other night for PAGES and it didn't do the job, so I don't want to buy an app unless I know it is going to do what I need.

Like I said its job application forms with parts where I type in, which the pages DID allow me to do, but then getting to the tricky box bit it won't allow me to, unless it needs more technical info which I don't have.

Most reactions

Latest posts