What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

filebrowser misunderstanding?

alexxx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everybody,
I just installed the filebrowser app, hoping to be able to transfer files to/from my PCs.
I had no problems copying files from both my PCs (one linux, one Win), but I cannot understand how to put Ipad files on them: I can only create folders - so I know that it isnt a write-access problem by the way.

Any ideas?

alessandro

OP
A

alexxx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
to the one by Stratosferix (new user, I cant post links - but search for "ipad filebrowser app" under google & it's the 1st link)

and no, I dont have GoodReader - was it a requirement??

a

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As far as I'm aware this app can only download files from your PC to your iPad; it cannot upload files from your iPad to your PC except by emailing them.

Tim

Stratospherix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
FileBrowser can copy files and nested folders between the iPad and remote computers / NAS drives in BOTH directions . It can also pass files to other apps and receive them in return using the 'Open In' method.

However, apps are not allowed to access files outside their own private area so FileBrowser is not able to generally browse the iPad file system.

So for example you copy a from a server, pass it to another app such as Documents to Go for editing, and then save the modified file back to the remote server using FileBrowser. You could also pass an email attachment to FileBrowser on your iPad and save to a NAS. These are just a couple of examples but should give you the idea.

Most reactions