What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

File/download manager

D_o_S

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a file/download manager... I have tried GoAruna, which seems to be working fine. However, for example when I download an MP3, i would like to get it into iTunes - this doesn't seem to happen?

I also can't seem to get ZIP files to open with GoAruna.

I downloaded ZipFileViewer for the iPhone, which downloads and opens zip files fine, even ones with presentations in them, but the screen is too small :(

Also, what if I get a ZIP file in an attachment?

Argh! This is my first experience with an iPhone/iPad and everything seems so confusing - do I understand it correctly that each application lives in a world of its own, with it's own files, etc? I'm sorry, but that just seems awfully wrong...I mean, take Windows... you download 1 file, and you can use 100000 programs to open it, each giving you different functions etc... as I see it, on the iPad, you first download 100000 apps, then you download the same file into each of those 100000 apps, and then you decide what works for you... seems awfully inefficient, no? Moreover, if you save a change in one app (say photo editing) and then need to transfer that picture to some word processor, you can't?

Argh! Someone please tell me I'm wrong!

Dentifrice

iPF Noob
Reaction score
you know what

bought mine couple of day ago and I think your right, each app seems to live in their own world.....

this is so....someone tell me that we are wrong !

Dentifrice

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did some research and it seems we are right....apps don't talk to each other

wow.....how am I suppose to work with this...this ipad is really a toy or multimedia device...

I think the only way is to jailbreak it and install cydia ifile. This apps can read the entire folder structure so I could move files between application folders.... right ?

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can do most of everything with 4apps. FileBrowser, GoodReader, DocsToGo and Dropbox. Dropbox serves as a go-between and the others allow retrieval and document modification.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh, you can download mp3 in GoodReader, put them in Dropbox, retrieve them on your computer from Dropbox, store them in your computer's music library and "Add File" when in iTunes. Then just Sync and you'll find it in your iPod app. Clean and simple...Apple's way! Lol!

Dentifrice

iPF Noob
Reaction score
when you have large files it's not really an option

and I sure my boss would't be happy to learn that i'm using a service like dropbox to transfer sensitive information on my ipad....

:(

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
when you have large files it's not really an option

and I sure my boss would't be happy to learn that i'm using a service like dropbox to transfer sensitive information on my ipad....

:(
FileBrowser allows you to get files directly to and from your computer but GoodReader won't have any of that. So if you fetch something on Internet with the aid of GoodReader you have to send it to yourself via email or Dropbox so FileBrowser can handle it.

FileBrowser is my favorite app btw.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There's an other option for very large files such as movies. I have a NAS(network attached storage) . You can get documents to it from any computer on your network and FileBrowser can retrieve them to the iPad.

Dentifrice

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There's an other option for very large files such as movies. I have a NAS(network attached storage) . You can get documents to it from any computer on your network and FileBrowser can retrieve them to the iPad.

if I download a video, word document, pdf files,etc. with FilesBrowser, can I send it to Pages, CineXPlayer or iAnnotate for example ?

can I send documents to PrintCentral for printing ?

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pages is an Apple eunuch app, you can't do anything with it but with iTunes. I don't have iAnnotate because GoodReader does the same. FileBrowser reads movies, photos and mp3s brilliantly and allows you to store them on your iPad in a classical file structure. I tell you, this app is brilliant!

(with a name like yours are you a French speaker too?)

Dentifrice

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pages is an Apple eunuch app, you can't do anything with it but with iTunes. I don't have iAnnotate because GoodReader does the same. FileBrowser reads movies, photos and mp3s brilliantly and allows you to store them on your iPad in a classical file structure. I tell you, this app is brilliant!

(with a name like yours are you a French speaker too?)

thanks I'll try it.

Je viens de voir que tu restes proches de Montréal....je suis à Québec :)

Most reactions

Latest posts