What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Few wifi networks

ukap123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On my PC I can view many networks available in my neighborhood - especially with alfa network extender.
I have WIFI only ipad yet can only see my own home network listed.

This is not a problem at home but I plan to travel soon and it seems my choices to connect to available wifi are going to be limited. Can the range be improved?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm surprised. I have an iPad1 and a Sony Vaio with WiFi and the iPad definitely has far better sensitivity. I don't think you're going to have any trouble.

Tim

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ukap123 said:
On my PC I can view many networks available in my neighborhood - especially with alfa network extender.

This is not a problem at home but I plan to travel soon and it seems my choices to connect to available wifi are going to be limited. Can the range be improved?

I just checked mine, sitting here in the lounge I can pick up 3 other wifi networks two of which are at full signal strength.......whilst not entirely scientific it doesn't seem too bad.

The Archangel

Reaction score

When I'm at home my Ipad sees only my home network as well but when away from home, though unlike my other wifi enabled devices seeing every network within half a mile, I have no problem connecting to a network somewhere. I don't know if it's by design or a flaw but it only "sees " ones it can actually connect to with enough strength to actually use, unlike my other devices. I have been in several places with mine whether out and about or my dads house (no computer there, no wifi) and was able to connect to a neighbor 2 houses down (he gave me his password) with plenty of strength and speed .
My other devices see more than 10 networks at my home but only 1(mine) is strong enough to use on any of them.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Incpad

Last edited:

ipaduser434

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think Mountainbikermark may have pinpointed the issue: iP2 only attempts to connect with those networks with a strong signal. Example: if I take my netbook to the office, it will pick up around six or seven nearby networks of varied signal strengths (none "strong'). My iP2 draws a blank, yet if I park in the McDonald's parking lot, it will pick up the AT&T WiFi immediately and I've even logged on to a "guest" network located in someone's house near a local park.

Agree that it may be by design - or a flaw. Just don't know.

bukzin

iPF Noob
Reaction score

How did you connect the Alfa wifi extender to your ipad?

I have read it requires a powered hub, is that your set up?

Other thoughts?

Most reactions

Latest posts