What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fear not Apple fans!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First of all I don't know why an apple fan should care what place their device is in. Second of all, the article is a giant trolling attempt by the author.

ALL THAT MATTERS IS APPS. Let’s keep repeating that until you get it.

No, all that matters is user experience. There are some major annoyances on the iPad that will drive people to android. You can't accomplish everything by throwing apps at it, you have to have an os that has some basic functionality too.

Now, some people think “enough” is 16

What a loser troll. The sdk for honeycomb was released 3 days ago. Anyone who takes this article seriously is challenged.

Until Android gets “enough” apps (let’s say that’s 5,000) it won’t enable average people to consider it because they will look stupid when going into the store to buy one.

Seriously??? Who is writing this?

That said, I can’t see any scenario that takes Apple’s iPad out of the #1 slot this year. That’s why it has no competition and why Techcrunch is right.

So as long as it's number one it has no competition? And no one in the world is expecting android to pass the iPad THIS year. Apple has had a year head start on selling tablets. For android to pass the iPad this year, the iPad 2 would have to be the biggest tech failure in the history of mankind.

Why are you linking to such moronic articles?

Last edited:

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Actually it is one of the better articles that have been released compared to half I have seen in past few months besides this is an iPad forum so it should be posted I also moderate the Android forum and see articles that users post regard Google, Android and every one there seems happy with that. As tzimisce stated some people will start foaming at the mouth and getting hot under the collar so I guess we better get the fire extinguishes out..... This forum is about sharing information and that is what the Op has done. Every one has a right to agree or disagree with the Article.

Last edited:

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Past a certain point, throwing big numbers around such as "Apple iOS has 350,000 apps" or "Android has 3 million free books!" becomes hugely meaningless because the average consumer, browsing through the App Shop, may not look at more than a handful of pages (i.e. the first 30-50 apps on offer, if even that many) before making a decision to buy/download.

It's the same user behavior on a search engine: you put in your keyword, get a screenful of hits/links, but if you've put in your parameters correctly, you won't (need to) get past the first few pages. Anything after the first few pages might as well not exist, assuming the user is patient enough to make it that far.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This forum is about sharing information and that is what the Op has done. Every one has a right to agree or disagree with the Article.
...and they are also free to just pass it by without saying anything!

Last edited by a moderator:

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
While I agree that the article isn't particularly well written - quality of apps (and hardware) is far more important than numbers, etc, I think the general point of the original tech crunch article is on the money.

My personal belief though is that Andriod tablets won't succeed like Andriod handsets for the simple reason of price. Any tablet of decent quality is a premium product, much like Laptops used to be 10 years ago, and the 'premium' world is very much Apple's (because they're beautifully made and look pretty... That's pretty much all there is to it!). Andriod has largely succeeded in handsets because it allows high spec smart phones to be at a price point which enables networks to offer them very cheaply/free; that's obviously going to help your market exposure as long as the device you offer is adequate. The same doesn't work for tablets as you have to stick your hand in your pocket and find Ă‚ÂŁ450+ to buy which ever one you want, andriod loses it's price advantage.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Andriod has largely succeeded in handsets because it allows high spec smart phones to be at a price point which enables networks to offer them very cheaply/free...
The only reason they are so "cheap" is because you have to have a 2-year contract with heavy penalties for early cancellation as well as being required to sign up for a data plan. You are still paying full price for the product, but it hurts a little less considering you are spreading out your payments over 24 months.

Now you don't have to buy a 2-year contract with a voice plan and data plan. If you just want to buy an iPhone from Verizon (for example) with no "commitments", the iPhone 4 will also be available for purchase at full retail price - $649.99 for the 16GB model, and $749.99 for the 32GB model.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually it is one of the better articles that have been released compared to half I have seen in past few months besides this is an iPad forum so it should be posted I also moderate the Android forum and see articles that users post regard Google, Android and every one there seems happy with that. As tzimisce stated some people will start foaming at the mouth and getting hot under the collar so I guess we better get the fire extinguishes out..... This forum is about sharing information and that is what the Op has done. Every one has a right to agree or disagree with the Article.

Very well said, My Favorite Super Moderator!

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Now you don't have to buy a 2-year contract with a voice plan and data plan. If you just want to buy an iPhone from Verizon (for example) with no "commitments", the iPhone 4 will also be available for purchase at full retail price - $649.99 for the 16GB model, and $749.99 for the 32GB model.

I always wondered about this. So ~ if you did not get the plans, just the phone, you have to activate somewhere, right?

Who ever you go with, don't they all have the committed plans?

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Very well said, My Favorite Super Moderator!
man-crying.jpg

But.... I thought I was your favorite SM Marie!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts