What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fast battery drain...?

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've drained the battery til it auto shuts down, then charged it overnight. i've used it for about 2 hours and the battery's drained about 30%. Normal? 20%-ish brightness, 2 or 3 apps in multi-task bar.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
MoonlitSonata said:
I've drained the battery til it auto shuts down, then charged it overnight. i've used it for about 2 hours and the battery's drained about 30%. Normal? 20%-ish brightness, 2 or 3 apps in multi-task bar.

Do you have wifi looking for a connection, bluetooth turned on, cellular on etc? Maybe Maps (or some other GPS program) running?

With just wifi connected and streaming video content from the computer it doesn't drain that fast. Nor watching a full game on YouTube, but they are all a bit different (different apps loaded) and I am running 5.1.1 on an iPad 3rd generation that has 4G (or what they call 4G)

Roy Rob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MoonlitSonata said:

Do you mean it has drained about 30% to 70% remaining or drained to 30% remaining. The former would be about normal depending on the apps that you ran for the two hours. The latter would not be normal.

OP
MoonlitSonata

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Roy Rob said:
Do you mean it has drained about 30% to 70% remaining or drained to 30% remaining. The former would be about normal depending on the apps that you ran for the two hours. The latter would not be normal.

Down to 70%. It's abnormal to me, coming from the 2 that wouldn't be at 70% for 3-4 hours.

OP
MoonlitSonata

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
zstairlessone said:
Do you have wifi looking for a connection, bluetooth turned on, cellular on etc? Maybe Maps (or some other GPS program) running?

With just wifi connected and streaming video content from the computer it doesn't drain that fast. Nor watching a full game on YouTube, but they are all a bit different (different apps loaded) and I am running 5.1.1 on an iPad 3rd generation that has 4G (or what they call 4G)

Wi-fi only, bluetooth off.

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score

All completely depends on usage..............
Running any graphics intensive apps or games drags down the battery fast............just surfing the web, email, ect. it will drain very slowly.
Retina display will defintely use the battery faster.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
MoonlitSonata said:
Down to 70%. It's abnormal to me, coming from the 2 that wouldn't be at 70% for 3-4 hours.

Aahh, I thought it was dropping to 30%, if it is dropping by 30% it is different and mostly normal depending on use.

Madmax007

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is the unit loosing battery on standby???? Another trick is totally drain the battery to zero and charge for over 12hrs +...

Last edited:
OP
MoonlitSonata

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It seems to have straightened up a bit. Only lost about 10% battery in 2ish hours yesterday. Still plugged in for today, but will report again tonight. And yes, it was losing battery on stand-by. Faulty smart cover. New one came yesterday, works perfect.

Most reactions