What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Family setup

shell5575

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok I need set up help. I have an iPad and now the kids will be getting their iPads for Christmas. What is the best way to have three iPads working on one computer? I want them to have their own music and apps and I don't want to pay twice for an app they might both want. There are a few apps they will both want to play but I'm unsure if data will be transferred between the two. iCloud confuses me.. Do I set them up individually or transfer data from iTunes?

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
You share an itunes account among the devices so purchases can shared, but create a separate icloud account for each device so you can keep contacts. calendars, etc seperate.

Its easy to manage multiple devices using the same itunes library. You just setup different sync settings for each device. For music I have separate playlists for each device that sync to the appropriate device.

OP
S

shell5575

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok sounds easy.. But one question, if child a plays a game on his iPad and then child b plays the same game on his iPad... Will the data not combine when I sync?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No. iTunes recognizes those two iPads (and their data) as separate entities. It will not make the data sync like you fear. Data-wise, what's on one iPad will not be transferred to the other.

For you, this is a feature. For others, I think they wish they could sync games between devices (and keep the same progress level). :)

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts