What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Facetime

Avista

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anyone figured out how to get on Facetime I put in my Apple ID and password, and it says, "check network connection". We have WiFI and I get my mail and on the internet just fine. Can't figure out why Facetime won't accept me.

1million

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wife and I just start the app and select each other and it connects instantly. Do you have the person your calling added as a contact?

OP
Avista

Avista

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wife and I just start the app and select each other and it connects instantly. Do you have the person your calling added as a contact?

No, I don't have anyone as a contact yet. Don't I have to log on first? That is where the problem is. I"ll keep trying. Thanks.

1million

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For my wife and I it had us sign in then set up. It took a few minutes for set up and we were chatting. Try restarting the FaceTime app and see if that helps or the IPad itself. Also try restarting the WiFi on the IPad.

watersd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A probable Fix

Has anyone figured out how to get on Facetime I put in my Apple ID and password, and it says, "check network connection". We have WiFI and I get my mail and on the internet just fine. Can't figure out why Facetime won't accept me.

Hello

I got a new ipad 2 yesterday and have had issues exactly as you describe. Apple support guys were unable to help.

I have now fixed this on my Ipad and would be interesting to see if this fixes for you.

Go to Settings, Network, Wifi and select your wifi connection. Go to the settings of it by pressing the blue arrow next to it.
Then in the DNS server list add , 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4 to the list.
( The comma is important to add to the existing IP address that you will have in there- the existing address is most likely your ADSL router IP address)

This instantly fixed it for me and worked 1st time after.

If it works for you i will post how i came to this solution.

best regards

Blackbelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The best app i use called " Tango" and it uses your 3G connections to establish face time application. I seldom use the face time WIFI, however I use the Tango app to have face time with my wife during lunch time.
Tango is a free app.

JJK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have these DNS as well, but it did not do the trick for me. Everytime I try to sign in it gives me a time out error. On my Mac no problem. I tried as well to create a new Itunes account, but here as well no luck.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Blackbelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score

in order for Face time to work well, both parties must have strong WIFI connectivities.

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you logged in using the same account as someone else on the network?
Also try putting your user name and password in through the settings app under facetime.

JJK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Blackbelt said:
in order for Face time to work well, both parties must have strong WIFI connectivities.

As mentioned by poster he can receive mails, so his wifi is fine. I have the same problem. I have no internet problem with my Ipad. Just cant get connectedmto Facetime. Itunes ID and pass are correct.

JJK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ncaissie said:
Are you logged in using the same account as someone else on the network?
Also try putting your user name and password in through the settings app under facetime.

No and yes did that as well.

watersd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dns change

Why don't you tell us how you have come up with this solution prior to altering one's DNS.

After trying everything I could think of and everything i could google and all the apple support guy had to offer I ran wireshark on my laptop to see what it was trying to do.

It turned out it was failing almost immediately as it couldnt resolve a DNS lookup, which was presumably to a facetime registration server ??

So went looking for some public DNS servers to use and came across another forum that I hadn't seen before and someone on there had the google DNS server addresses 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4. So used them and worked immediately.

I havn't been able to try on other providers ADSL yet. Will try some in the office today. My home one is Talk Talk Business and looks like something going on with the DNS distribution ?

Anyhow, this worked for me as soon as i added these to my DNS servers on my wireless settings.

The 2 Apple support guys reckon they hadn't had anyone call them about this issue before ( which can't be right). and they just blamed my ADSL provider after I told them the DNS change worked.

regards

JJK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The way I see it is that your provider will give you a DNS as long as you have dhcp enabled in your router. google provides free DNS, which can be faster. So, your problem is not Facetime related, but more provider or the router on your side. Just my thoughts

Most reactions

Latest posts