What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Facetime on Ipad 3 Dec. 28, 2012

laclablanche

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recently bought an I pad 3 for my grandson so we could do facetime together. I have an I pad 3 and the software is uptodate. I used the facetime for a week with him and there were no problems. On Christmas Day I wanted to do Facetime and there was audio but no video. He could see us but we could not see him. Since Christmas Day we have not been able to maintain the Wifi connection even for audio. It rings, connects (no picture) but voice, and cuts off in less than 2 minutes. I am calling from Canada to Chicago which should not be a problem. On Christmas Day we thought perhaps there was too much traffic (does that make sense) but it has become worse. Any suggestions. The Wifi for every other feature works fine.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I tried to FaceTime my sister and it immediately popped up a message that she was unavailable for it. I called and she is home and on her wifi - tested her connection and saw 25MB on speed test. It is possible something on their (Apple) side is having issues?

hansmann1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got exactly the same issues with my iPad 3 as laclanlanche above describes. Anybody has any idea how to troubleshoot those issues? No video (black screen) - only audio after working for a few weeks flawless. Now I can not connect at all.

Help would be greatly appreciated since the basic troubleshooting steps from apple do not work at all.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you registered the email addresses you use to connect with Apple? If not, go to

https://appleid.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MyAppleId.woa/

Log in using your AppleID, and register any extra email addresses you are using.

Next, make sure the email addresses are filled out correctly in the relevant fields of Settings/FaceTime.

If you really have tried everything shoot me a PM. There are other things to try that I'm not going to broadcast in the forum. We'll try to work it out in the forum first, though.

hansmann1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Kevin,

Yes - I am on wifi - and I forgot to mention that face time used to work for a few times - on the same network with my son's iPod and when I was traveling. To my knowledge, the Apple ID's I am using are registered and verified - otherwise face time would not have worked, I believe? I will double check. I have heard from several people who have difficulties using face time - on iPhones, iPads and iPods. Just verified that my main Apple ID is correctly entered in the face time fields. However, when I tried to enter the 2nd back-up e-mail I got an error message telling me that I can't add the e-mail because it is already in use?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been trying to get to the bottom of these FaceTime difficulties for a while now, so I can give a definitive answer in the forums. I'm still searching. My son recently set up an iPad mini with no problems, so I'm still scratching my head, wondering what can be going wrong. You are welcome to PM me, and I'll send you my details so we can try FaceTime on a known working iPad (mine). If it doesn't work we will know it's your problem, and if it does work, we will know it's your contact's problem (probably!!!)

hansmann1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Believe it or not - just got done testing after a complete uninstall and reinstall of my primary Apple ID - reboot - and voila - it works! Now - let's see for how long! I do thank you for your words of advise!

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good to hear. Any problems, come back to us. I'm convinced there is a simple solution and I'm determined to find out what it is. I have 4 iOS devices here and never have a problem with any of them.

Most reactions