What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FaceTime not waking up iPad

Smudge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am not sure if this is a common issue or not. I have two Ipad2's and it appears as though this is only occurring on one of them. When my ipad2 is put to sleep, and is sleeping for a few hours, an incoming FaceTime call will not wake it up. I get no indication that I have missed an incoming call, the screen does not turn on, ect. I spent about 45 minutes on the phone with Apple tech support and they said that they have never heard of this issue. I went through all of the settings with them to try to fix the issue. Anyone else have this issue? Thanks for any input.

Slayerific

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the EXACT same issue. Actually I just registered to reply to this.

When I let my iPad 2 sleep for a while it doesn't wake up from sleep for facetime. It also won't show I had a call. Its still receiving push emails, that works all the time. No matter how long the ipad has been sleeping. But if it was sleeping for a few hours, or maybe even just 45 minutes, it won't come on.

Its very annoying and makes the phoning option completely pointless. I tried to calling someone at home, too bad, iPad doesn't ring. I misplaced it somewhere in the apartment, tried to call it, too bad, doesn't ring.

It has been like this through restores and firmware updates.

Help please?

mlkluther

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the same issues on two iPads. My iPhone wakes but the iPads don't.

o365

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually, this problem went way back (I suspected it was since the release of FaceTime). When I first got my iPad 2 back in April, I shot a video to show how to reproduce this "FaceTime Sleep Bug". (As a newbie in this forum, I cannot post any link, but you can search for "FaceTime Sleep Bug" in Google to locate the video). Please follow the steps to reproduce the problem yourself.

At that time, I was quite hopeful that Apple would fix it quite quickly. But now it's already September and still unresolved. Hopefully, when enough of us are complaining about this issue, Apple will help us eliminate this frustration.

Slayerific

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This problem still exists in iOS 5 and makes FaceTime near useless. I also don't get iMessage notifications when the ipad has been sleeping for a while. Interestingly push emails always arrive and make a sound, so it is definitely possible.

Here is something you can try for yourself: when the iPad has been sleeping for a while and got into its deep sleep thing where it doesn't take FaceTime calls, call it, and while you are calling to no avail, send an email (you have to be using push email of course) to you iPad. It will make the email sound and suddenly recognize the FaceTime call.

I have no idea what the point is, I can't just call my iPad from abroad if I can be 99% certain it won't ring. Same with iMessage, pretty damn useless if it doesn't notify the recipient until next time he picks up his phone.

Last edited:

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Be sure your notifications are set to appear on the lock screen, or the iPad will not wake up

Most reactions