What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Facetime, camera and photobooth disapper with itunes sync

heinduples

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recently synced my iPad with iTunes, whereafter these 3 default applications disappeared from the iPad. Uncertain of the cause, I restored the iPad to it's factory settings and it once again displayed on the iPad.

However another sync to iTunes delivered the same result.

What may the cause of this issue be? Any subsequent camera application fails to open the camera on the iPad.

A very confused iPad User.

Reaction score
It seems, as if by syncing the iPad recognizes you are in a country, where the camera apps are not available.

Under normal circumstances, the apps should always be available and while it is possible to deactivate FaceTime and Camera, is there no way of disabling Photobooth. So unless there is something really strange going on here, has Apple simply disabled these apps in your country.

Edit: I see you live in SouthAfrica :)

OP
H

heinduples

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply.

I have also thought about it being deactivated due to the facility not being available in my country (South Africa). Unfortunately we don't have a discussion forum for the iPad2 so advanced yet, sine it was only launched a week or so ago.

What made me think otherwise is the failure of any other application to activate the camera function on the iPad, which is a real pity.
Would that be normal?

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
but why would those standard apps be disabled, sounds like something is amiss, where did you buy the iPad from? apple store? if so, have a chat with them

I mean why disable the camera and photo booth? No different from taking a picture from a normal camera and a photo album, other than being in digital form, if they disabled it for the iPad, then they must have disable it for other camera phones, banned digital cameras, otherwise it makes no sense,nun less they are wary of people using it for dodgy purposes, video chatting, I'll leave the rest for your imagination

as for FaceTime, possibly, as they may want to reduce the stress/bandwidth usage on the network

had a look at the iPad website in SA

http://www.apple.com/za/ipad/specs/

they list the camera as a function, so makes absolutely no sense in disabling it, lawsuit? advertise a product that does certain things, but then when purchased does not do them...

Last edited:
Reaction score
The only other thing coming to mind is, that you may have setup a business exchange account. From the Apple support:

If your iOS device is configured to use an Exchange account, your Exchange Server administrator may have configured your account with a policy to disallow use of Safari or the Camera. This policy will remain in effect until you delete the Exchange account from the device. This is true even if your Exchange Server administrator later relaxes the policy to allow use of Safari or the Camera—the iOS device will not recognize the policy change. To restore use of Safari or the Camera, you will need to delete the Exchange account from the device.

What this article doesn't specify is, whether by Camera it means the Camera app, or the use of the camera in general.

Anyhow, it is strange. Because clearly the iPad itself isn't defective, as it shows the camera apps after a reset.

OP
H

heinduples

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i was on holdiay in the UK two weeks back, and bought it there from an authorized apple store dealership.

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
heinduples said:
i was on holdiay in the UK two weeks back, and bought it there from an authorized apple store dealership.

shouldn't matter, as the SA apple website clearly shows and states that the iPad has a camera, and makes no mention that it is disabled in SA

unless as previously mentioned by DUMI, business account?

OP
H

heinduples

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you so much for taking time to read my post.

I have removed my corporate exchange account, and after deleting it, the three applications reappeared on the home screen. Can you imagine that - I would never have thought of doing that.

I am much obliged

A less confused iPad user.

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
heinduples said:
Thank you so much for taking time to read my post.

I have removed my corporate exchange account, and after deleting it, the three applications reappeared on the home screen. Can you imagine that - I would never have thought of doing that.

I am much obliged

A less confused iPad user.

wahey congrats :)

Most reactions