What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

External speaker

melbo13

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For some reason the only way I can listen to the iPod on my iPad 2 is through headphones. It says it is in headphone mode and it switched that way by it self. I want to use the external speaker but I can't figure out how to switch it back. Please help!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For some reason the only way I can listen to the iPod on my iPad 2 is through headphones. It says it is in headphone mode and it switched that way by it self. I want to use the external speaker but I can't figure out how to switch it back. Please help!

There are several possibilities here. First of all, the volume control on the iPad 'remembers' the volume separately for the headphones and the iPad speaker - so if you've got the headphones turned all the way up and unplug them, you might not hear anything if the speaker was previously turned all the way down.

You say you want to use the 'external speaker' and I wasn't 100% sure what you meant by that. Do you, in fact, mean the 'internal' iPad speaker? If so, OK, check to see after you've unplugged the headphones that the volume is turned up again.

If you actually meant an 'external' speaker - i.e. you've connected a remote external speaker via a cable to the iPad, then the problem might not be in the iPad itself and, of course, you would need an amplifier. The audio circuitry in the iPad is not capable of directly powering a full-size external speaker.

Another possible solution - if you really meant the iPad's internal speaker - is to perform a complete iPad power-down, by pressing and holding the Power button until the slider control appears and then accepting the offer to power down. Once the iPad screen is completely blank you can press and hold the Power button again until the white Apple logo appears. After a few seconds the iPad will have powered up. This process clears quite a few unexplained 'issues'.

I hope one of these ideas works but, if not, get back to us and we'll suggest some more.

Good Luck

Tim

OP
M

melbo13

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You were right, I did mean the internal speaker. I tried what you said. I powered down Nd then back up. It didn't fix it. What is so strange is that I had not used headphones when this happened. Only after this happened did I use headphones because I couldn't hear anything. I checked sounds under general setting and the internal speaker works there. I dont know where else to check.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you doing this with the iPad plugged in to the dock connector? There are several issues....

If it's plugged in to the charger - remove the charger cable and try again - we've had reports of faulty charger cables that 'tell' the iPad that it's plugged in to the dock instead and therefore connector to an external speaker.

If it is connected to the dock stand, try unplugging it and try again...the dock connector stand is intended to connect the iPad to external speakers, so the internal speaker is disabled.

Tim

Hotherps

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have just tested mine, playing through the internal speaker and it works fine.

TravsiPhoneHelp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
melbo13 said:

Try restoring it in iTunes that will usually fix any problems and if not take it back to apple

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts