What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

External mic for iPad2...

scottfish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I didn't do enough research and grabbed a camera connector mistakenly thinking I could use my USB gaming headset to record audio. Not enough power cap'n!

So I was looking for a solid idea to record audio interviews with.

Is the iRig the only option right now? It does look cool.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A couple of Forum members have been asking this tonight - you and DontUnderstandMyIPAD. Clearly, since iRig enables an external microphone to be connected to the iPad it must be possible but I've had mixed success trying to find an adaptor that would allow any external microphone to be connected. You'd think they'd be a significant market for an adaptor of this type. Let's wait and see if anyone has some ideas here.

Tim
Scotland

catchmeblue70

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been looking for one too and I keep reading that the Blue Microphones Snowflake would work since it doesn't draw a lot of power. I haven't found any reviews of it being used this way, but it might be worth a try.

xistance

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You'll need a power hub to get a USB mic running if running the latest iOS. This the only way I could get it going.

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You didn't mention what the mic will be used for, but this is what I'm getting for my iPad 2.

$99.99 large diaphragm condensor studio mic that works with iPad/Camera Connection Kit, and has built-in earphone monitoring to eliminate latency issues. The specs are flat 20Hz - 20kHz, 16-bit 44.1/48kHz and a pro-size condenser diaphragm that's one of the largest available in a USB mic. It has its own stand or can be mounted on a standard mic stand, and it is VERY cool looking, even comes in gold for extra $$. :)

Samson Audio - Meteor Mic

I think you soon see a lot of folks carrying this around.

xistance

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And here's another that could turn up in a lot of setups

mic-feature-header.jpg

Mic by Apogee

kimbodious

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With the Griffin iMic you can plug in any old mic but you would need adapters if your ext mic has XLR connectors.

newbieQ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MicW just came out with a plug and play external mic for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch that meets the IEC61672 Class 2 Sound Level Meter standard. Simply plug the mic into the headphone jack socket to operate. More info at mic-w-usa.appspot.com

isBjorn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess this works as well on iPad:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bbnic23_Ucw]YouTube - ‪iPod touch Microphone‬‏[/ame]

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Microphones

So I didn't do enough research and grabbed a camera connector mistakenly thinking I could use my USB gaming headset to record audio. Not enough power cap'n!

So I was looking for a solid idea to record audio interviews with.

Is the iRig the only option right now? It does look cool.

I have yet to find a way of connecting my Pro Rode mics, but I'm working on that one. In the meantime, people have reported that the dedicated mic (see link below) works well. I wouldn't expect it to compare to pro studio kit, but then again. it won't cost you £600 :D

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/IK-Multimedia-IPIRIGMICIN-iRig-iMic/dp/B004IA8F50/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1306305332&sr=8-5]IK Multimedia iRig iMic: Amazon.co.uk: Musical Instruments[/ame]

Another Pro rescource is the Amplitube site:

iRig Mic

The link above is the offical IK site. Seems they are now doing phantom power stuff.. Hope this all helps :)

Most reactions

Latest posts