What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Extend Storage?

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm looking to migrate from my pc to my iPad, but I feel like I'm years away from that...the main issue is that I have 500GB of data... What are my options to access these from my iPad? (I'd prefer them not being remote desktop clients)

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Do you really need all 500 gb? Not everthing on your pc will be compatible with the ipad anyways. Not sure if you have ipad 1 or 2 but you could always wait till Monday for apples announcements at wwdc about icloud. Doubt you'll have 500gb of personal use though.
If on iPad 1 you could jailbreak and use a powered portable hd to hookup to ipad1 and use ifile from cydia to navigate the hd for music&movies...If on ipad2 then wait till 5.0 or jb is released.

OP
Sonicrobby

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Actually I kind of do, it's mostly videos, images, and music (yeah, I know, it's extensive xD). Sorry i didnt mention, ipad 1st gen, jailborken on 4.3.2. I actually though about getting the cam kit for that purpose a while back, but I remember reding somewhere that ios4 didn't provide as much power to the kit anymore to preserve battery. Not sure if this is fact or not, but would my iPad power a portable hardrive?

Also, I'm not expecting too much from the icloud. Especially since it will eventually be a paid service, which I am definitely not interested in.

iRuthlessPad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I expect apple to bring ipad 3 with 1 gb memory so that more people use their icloud service..lol :p

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Actually I kind of do, it's mostly videos, images, and music (yeah, I know, it's extensive xD). Sorry i didnt mention, ipad 1st gen, jailborken on 4.3.2. I actually though about getting the cam kit for that purpose a while back, but I remember reding somewhere that ios4 didn't provide as much power to the kit anymore to preserve battery. Not sure if this is fact or not, but would my iPad power a portable hardrive?

The hd has to have it's own power supply...And then connect via camera connection kit....then using ifile from cydia to navigate hd.

Or if you want to try:
http://www.ipadforums.net/apple-ipa...unches-first-mobile-wireless-storage-ios.html

A lil pricey though....

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
Have a look at Tonido in the app store. They have a server part running on a PC that will give you access to all your hard disk locally and over the net. You still need a PC, but it's pretty useful. That what I did to share my 320 gigs with my iPad and iPhone.

VicoPad addict!

Reaction score
I use Splashtop to manipulate my desktop from my iPad. I don't have to transfer anything anywhere. I just fire up the app and use the desktop from my iPad. Music, videos, Outlook, you name it. It is literally using the desktop but shows up on the iPad.

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from wherever I'm at right now via my Apple tablet

OP
Sonicrobby

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So if it's a 2.5" portable hardrive that is powered by the same USB that connects to the kit, then it wouldn't work?

I've tried splashtop, and it was great, but I couldnt set it up to be accessible from anywhere. I've opened the ports and firewall on my router settings, but still wouldn't connect outside my network. Plus I wanted something that probably wouldn't require me leaving the PC on.

OP
Sonicrobby

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well Casanova It was, but then I've converted all my DVDs to avi or mp4 files, now I have over 300GB in videos alone. XP

I am intrigued by the goflex though. It seems to have what I need, I can access all my files from my iPad, laptops, and desktops, and phone, and it's portable too. But it is a bit pricey... The only thing I'm wondering is how long it lasts on a charge and if the hardrive within can be exchanged to a terrabite (if needed).

Most reactions

Latest posts