What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exporting ppt to ipad2 (keynote)

Rrockway

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi I really hope someone can help. I've just got an iPad 2, which is amazing! I would love to use it in my teaching, I can connect it to a White board and speakers and it works.

But I have all of my lesson presentations on ppt and they contain a lot of audio samples, I teach music and music tech so they are vital to the presentation. What would be the best way/program to convert/play these presentations, I really want to use my iPad teaching but without the audio clips i'm going to have to stick with a pc:(

Any help at all would be great

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A PowerPoint presentation that you import into Keynote with an *embedded* video and audio file will play just fine. However, there is no way to add audio once the file has been imported - you will need to do that on a PC.

Tim

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok, it seemed to me that this really should be possible. After all, you can add videos. After a little playing around I came up withe a cumbersome and slow method that works, but it can be (mostly) done on the iPad.

What you need:

*iMovie (the iPad app)

*A picture you want to represent the audio file in the Photos app. Could be an album cover, or just a graphic, like a play button (a big play button for quality).

*The music sample imported to iTunes and synced to the iPad.

What you do:

Open iMovie, and start a new project.

Select the camera icon under the clips window, and find and choose your photo.

Select the musical notes icon, find and choose your audio clip.

Tap on the gear/cog icon at the top right and turn off all the switches in the project settings.

Tap on the clip in the timeline window (see the yellow outline and drag handles around the clip) and drag the video to the same length as the sound clip. {note, you could actually edit or select portions of the clip here, as well as make some sound level adjustments}

Go back to My Projects. With the project centered, tap the billboard and give it a name.

Tap the share icon at the bottom (box with arrow coming out of it) and Share the movie to the Camera Roll. I recommend using the lowest quality to speed things up. It's not like you need HD video to display a still picture.

Wait a fairly long time, depending on length of movie.

When the movie is finished exporting you can import it into your Keynote just like any picture. It will convert the video (again, this takes a while), then allow you to size and place it as normal.

In edit mode it will show a play button in the center that you can tap to play. In presentation mode you can tap the slide to play the clip (though it shows no indiction that it is a video).

Caution, I put two video's on the same slide, and they played in the order that I added them, regardless of where I tapped the slide.

There is probably a better way to do this, but I'm done experimenting for now.

Last edited:
OP
R

Rrockway

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for your replies, they have been really helpful!

Taking what you've said I found the easiest way is embedding in ppt then it works fine in keynote, the issues are you have to tell ppt to embed larger files (it defaults to 50kb) it will embed up to 50mb max (i'm using ppt 2007), and it's got to be in a .wav format which is about 10mb per min, I use a full DAW Cubase to edit my clips, but there are free audio editing software that should be able to export in .wav (audacity is a good one). Videos are much easier to do through keynote after importing the presentation because the file sizes are much bigger. I'm still experimenting but I'll post how I get on.

Thank you again for your replies

bgoffe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i was able to also import a ppt into keynot with the audio. In the MS Office the audio plays throught the slide show. My problem is that once i get it into keynote the audio plays and then stops when i transistion to the next slide. I clicked "loop" and still no luck. How do i get the audo to play continuously through the slide show?

Most reactions

Latest posts