What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expect ALL schoolchildren to be using iPads in the near future

zemtab

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Say goodbye to 10 pounds of heavy uninteractive textbooks; say hello to iPad

A Maine school system may be adding the iPad 2 to its list of mandatory kindergarten classroom items, with the district footing the bill. The Auburn Schools Committee voted unanimously to provide all kindergartners with an iPad 2 next year. Each subsequent kindergarten class would receive individual devices as well, CNN and WGME report. It would cost the district about $200,000 next year, with Apple cutting them a deal by charing $475 per iPad. Superintendent Tom Morrill says the district will find the money in the budget and through grants.

Last edited:

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Unfortunately, our government secondary school doesn't have the budget to buy our kids iPads so that is very much a pipe dream for most government schools in UK. yes, I know some private schools have them but the code is in the word "private" e.g. Lots of private money.

Knightoftheapp

iPF Novice
Reaction score

A Maine school system may be adding the iPad 2 to its list of mandatory kindergarten classroom items, with the district footing the bill. The Auburn Schools Committee voted unanimously to provide all kindergartners with an iPad 2 next year. Each subsequent kindergarten class would receive individual devices as well, CNN and WGME report. It would cost the district about $200,000 next year, with Apple cutting them a deal by charing $475 per iPad. Superintendent Tom Morrill says the district will find the money in the budget and through grants.

I know someone is in college (a Computer Science major) and he and many other people in his classes are using iPads.

Ingoiolo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
zemtab said:
http://img62.imageshack.us/i/alavatar.jpg/

In kindergarten?????

Sent from my 64GB 3G iPad using iPF

zen2go

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd prefer a double-screen notebook like a Kno.

ipaduser434

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Third and fourth graders at a school in Leland, MI use them, thanks to the voters who approved a bond to purchase the iPads.

OP
zemtab

zemtab

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ingoiolo said:
In kindergarten?????

Well, Kindergarten _is a little late to start with the iPad; but its better than nothing.....;-)

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That is a terrible idea for many different reasons. The costs would be astronomical. They would be dropped and broken. They would need to be completely locked down so that kids aren't playing angry birds on them instead of using the textbooks. There would be a giant backlash once people like me find out the school district is spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on iPads for children.

Why would a kid need an iPad for a textbook? Its a ridiculous waste of money. If a tablet was needed, it could be made a HELL of a lot cheaper than the iPad and still be fine for textbooks.

Ingoiolo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thphilli said:
That is a terrible idea for many different reasons. The costs would be astronomical. They would be dropped and broken. They would need to be completely locked down so that kids aren't playing angry birds on them instead of using the textbooks. There would be a giant backlash once people like me find out the school district is spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on iPads for children.

Why would a kid need an iPad for a textbook? Its a ridiculous waste of money. If a tablet was needed, it could be made a HELL of a lot cheaper than the iPad and still be fine for textbooks.

Fully agree

Spink10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thphilli said:

People don't use common sense - this is how we will save the education system. What a joke - thank God for homeschooling that is done right.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Expect ALL children to be using iPads in the near future? I seriously doubt it. Perhaps that particular school district is in a wealthy area and they can afford to indulge such silly ideas. In our area teachers are being laid off, schools are closing, extracurricular programs are being cut or going to parent supported and schools are desperately trying to get renewal levies passed. Somehow I don't see them dropping $200K on devices that have little practical use in the classroom at this time. It is so nice of Apple to drop the price a whopping $25 per unit though. Something tells me they hope to make that back tenfold through sales of electronic books.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Expect ALL children to be using iPads in the near future? I seriously doubt it. Perhaps that particular school district is in a wealthy area and they can afford to indulge such silly ideas. In our area teachers are being laid off, schools are closing, extracurricular programs are being cut or going to parent supported and schools are desperately trying to get renewal levies passed. Somehow I don't see them dropping $200K on devices that have little practical use in the classroom at this time. It is so nice of Apple to drop the price a whopping $25 per unit though. Something tells me they hope to make that back tenfold through sales of electronic books.

LOL, I didn't even think of that. Can you imagine the political S*(@ storm that would come from a school district buying hundreds of thousands of dollars of iPads and then laying off teachers? I don't think any politician would sign off on something like that unless they were seriously planning on quitting anyway.

fuzzyfelts

iPF Novice
Reaction score
zemtab said:
http://img62.imageshack.us/i/alavatar.jpg/

What a totally ridiculous idea, can't imagine this taking off in the UK, the backlash would be huge!

normanj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Early elementary is too early - jr. high might be appropriate.

Most reactions